HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many stands? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276604-how-many-stands.html)

Scott/IL 12-02-2008 09:49 PM

How many stands?

Pretty much what the title says...how many stands do you put up each year?

This year for me it was 4, but I used a climber during parts. However I have since parted ways with the climber, and plan on using only ladder stands and hangons. I just purchased another set tonight and plan on getting 2 more at least.

I hunt on a 365 acre farm mainly that recieves little hunting pressure (I am the only hunter that is ever there during the week), but there are 3 others that will hunt it during the weekend. Anyways, I already have 2 more spots planned for stands next year, and we are making a few small harvest plots as well.

Just wondering how many each of you have, and when do you think you have hung to many sets?

MN/Kyle 12-02-2008 09:56 PM

RE: How many stands?

16 stand sites on about 450 acres.

I have one that doesn't go up, so I can bring it to other land I have permission on.

TEmbry 12-02-2008 09:57 PM

I hung 3 this year with limited land to hunt. I dont think you can have too many options, provided you can stand to not second guess yourself to death.

Ever been to the beach and complained of having TOO many pretty girls laying around everywhere? Me neither.;):D

Next year I will have out 5-6 setups.

NY/Al 12-02-2008 09:58 PM

11 fixed position (temporary and perminant), and 3 climbers. Little over 1000 acres at my main spot.

hardcorehunter 12-02-2008 10:00 PM

One pretty well is all I use, my LW alpha. Goes in and out each setup. No worry of thievery, no squirrels chewing on anything, and the deer can't get onto me as I am always moving and hunting with the proper wind. Plus the extra physical activity of lugging a stand/sticks in each time and setting up/tearing down keeps me healthy and in top physical shape and is more fun than constantly going to the gym.

Rory/MO 12-02-2008 10:02 PM

This year, I had somewhere in the ballpark of 2500 acresI had permission tohunt. I'd say all together, there were about 50 or so stands I could have hunted out of. Maybe a little more.

TNBowHuntr 12-02-2008 10:03 PM

Nothing but a climber. I have used my climber in about 20 different trees this year. Simpler for me, and i'm fast and quiet, no need to hang my bow, andnot to mention comfort. My biggest problem is trying to not take an afternoon knap because the summit seat will lull you if you aren't careful. I have a spot or 2 next year in some very thick scraggly stuff with no climbing trees so I may hang a couple there, but other than situations such asthat they seem pretty much useless for me.

TNBowHuntr 12-02-2008 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

One pretty well is all I use, my LW alpha. Goes in and out each setup. No worry of thievery, no squirrels chewing on anything, and the deer can't get onto me as I am always moving and hunting with the proper wind. Plus the extra physical activity of lugging a stand/sticks in each time and setting up/tearing down keeps me healthy and in top physical shape and is more fun than constantly going to the gym.
Just out of curiousity, wouldn't it be easier for you to use a climber instead of setting up sticks and what not every time or do your areas trees not allow for good climbing? Not criticizing just curious.

joemr1288 12-02-2008 10:06 PM

Unfortunately I was only able to hunt one stand all season since the property wasn't mine and I have no stands. This being my first year hunting. I plan on buying a climber before next season though so I can be more mobile.

Schultzy 12-02-2008 10:14 PM

Between bear and deer hunting I've probably hung and took down at least 40 hang on stands since late August.