Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

Ok I have skimmed through the thread.

Hunt and be happy!!!

I went duck hunting once, I waited for the duck to land on the river and then I shot it. I was told one could not do kill a duck sitting on the pond. It was not "sporting".

We have become way to much "challenge" envy in hunting. I shot mine on Public, my location sucks, it's all about location. I don't care, just be happy
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM

I am a hunter at heart, pure and simple. I have killedbig gamewith rifles, pistols, shotguns, black powder, andcompounds. I am equal opportunity, I love them all.Some days I feel like one, some days like the other. The common thread which ties it all for me is hunting.

If I had to pick between them I would leave them all for the rifle. I have had a rifle in my hand my whole life, and the beauty and efficiency of a well tuned rifle speak to my soul. It becomes a part of me which moves without thought, and does my bidding without being asked, nearly of it's own free will. It will always be my go-to when things get tough. It doesn't mean it is better or worse than anything else, just that it is the weapon theat speaks to MY soul.

In the end though, the real question is whether the weapon you choose is a means to the end, or the end in and of itself. For me they are a means to an end,albeit an enjoyable one.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Ok I have skimmed through the thread.

Hunt and be happy!!!

I went duck hunting once, I waited for the duck to land on the river and then I shot it. I was told one could not do kill a duck sitting on the pond. It was not "sporting".

We have become way to much "challenge" envy in hunting. I shot mine on Public, my location sucks, it's all about location. I don't care, just be happy
You're asking an awful lot there, Germ. Some folks just aren't going to be happy unless they're up to their armpits in an argument.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Girls, girls, quit b*%h slapping and get on with your life.[8D]
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't understand what you mean?

I don't think that I've seen an insecure post from anyone in any forum on the animals they've taken?

Except maybe my7pointmonster?
Why do people have issues when someone "labels" themself or professes their pride in being a "bowhunter"? Where's the derogatory nature towrds other hunters (using other weapons) in that profession.

Like I told you yesterday....."Purist" isn't a dirty word. You agreed, it isn't.

Yet it seems some people will automatically attach negative, inflammatory monnikers to people make such professions......labeling them "Elitists". The generalizaions are rampant on this thread alone.

It's a sad state of affairs when a person can't profess his passion for being a bow (only) hunter on a bowhunting forum......and at the same time not degrade other methods of hunting.....and STILL have to put up with being called "insecure" and be labeled an "elitist".

That's what I meant, Greg.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you guys work all this out, I'm gonna take the old recurve out for the first time tomorrow evening. Never killed one with it, I usually am just sitting in the woods with it to be honest. I wouldn't really call it hunting as no deer have everbeen in harms way when I've had it. But I'm still going!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

That sums it up right there, forget about what others think. If itstaking aspike with a machine gunthat makes you happy, lay the thing out and smile, afterall thats what we are there for. Life is too short to squable over such insignificant issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22
Life is too short to squable over such insignificant issues.
Sure, but what if it's squabbling over insignificant issues that makessomeone happy? (I seem to see quite a bit of that on here.) What's one to do then?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I just have to ask the question. Why do equal bowhunting (or being just a bowhunter) and the term purist? Now before you go off on me, let me just explain the question. I have been bowhunting for over 25 years and I can promise you there is little that is that same today as it was 25 years ago. Our bows today are more than capable of killing deer at distances that shotguns were 25 years ago. When I was young and shotgun hunting, anything over 40 yards was a hope and prayer, while bows today are very capable of 40+ yard shots.

I would totally understand your "purist" stance if you were hunting with trad equipment, on the ground, and doing spot and stalk type hunts. However, sitting in a stand 20+ feet off the ground, hunting an area that was scouted with tools such as trail cameras, and shooting 300+ fps is not anything close to what we had even 25 years ago.

I guess when I think of a "purist" or a pure hunter, I think back to the time when hunting was not a sport or a hobby, but a means of survival and those guys were carrying rifles. Or when I think of "purist"in the archery world, I think of the guy carring a stick and string and getting it done on the ground. I have a buddy that really wanted to challenge himself. He made his own self bow, arrows and BH and killed deer with it. That is what I would consider a "purist" to be.

I really am not trying to bust your chops or give you a hard time. I really am just trying to understand what you are calling "purist".
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Kickin...How could I have a problem with a question posed so eloquently and respectfully? Thanks for doing that.

I simply (semantics between us, maybe....or a difference in opinion on the definition) mean "purist" as someone who has dedicated their pursuits (hunting-wise.....it could as easily be said for someone whofocuses on one musicalinstrument, even though they play several) to utilizing one weapon. Im "my" eyes....you could as easily be a rifle hunting "purist".

My definition and yours may simpy differ.

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.