Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

ORIGINAL: Germ

We have become way to much "challenge" envy in hunting. I shot mine on Public, my location sucks, it's all about location. I don't care, just be happy
That sums it up right there, forget about what others think. If itstaking aspike with a machine gunthat makes you happy, lay the thing out and smile, afterall thats what we are there for. Life is too short to squable over such insignificant issues.

Now that would be cool, a spike with a machine gun

"Well the first 30 rounds were a tad behind him, I lead him a bit and put 20-26 good rounds in him. No need to tenderise"
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow.

Can we tell the seasons are starting to end around here? Or at least getting close.

I'm not really sure what this threads about.. anymore.

But I really enjoy the fact that we've grown tired of the "who's the best hunter" threads.. in favor of a "what generation has the best hunters"... OR "how its so much easier today than back in my day" threads.

Good stuff. Good stuff.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't belive the term "purist" canbe accurately applied to bow-hunting with modern equipment. By definition, a bow-hunting purist would be primitive traditional only. Being a "purist" leads to a "puritan" attitude. Look that one up.

I understand what you're trying to say, Jeff, but there has to be a word that fits what you're describing; one with a definition somewhere in between "purist" and "elitist".

I do, however, loveone of the definitionsI found when I actually looked the word "elitest" up:

Main Entry:
elitist

Part of Speech:
noun

Definition:
snob

Synonyms:
highbrow, name-dropper, pompous ass, pompous person, social climber, stiff, stuffed shirt
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

A purist is one who desires that a particular item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. The term may be used in almost any field, and can be applied either to the self or to others. Use of the term may be either pejorative or complimentary, depending on context.
Now before you break down "true to it's essence".....remember that compound bows have their own "essence".

We're arguing semantics. I'm talking about someone who professes their love for hunting with a bow....and takes pride in that fact (without making derogatory remarks towards other types of pursuits). I'd call him a bowhunting "purist". You don't have to agree with the label. I'm fine with that.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A purist is one who desires that a particular item remain true to its essence and free from adulterating or diluting influences. The term may be used in almost any field, and can be applied either to the self or to others. Use of the term may be either pejorative or complimentary, depending on context.
Now before you break down "true to it's essence".....remember that compound bows have their own "essence".

We're arguing semantics. I'm talking about someone who professes their love for hunting with a bow....and takes pride in that fact (without making derogatory remarks towards other types of pursuits). I'd call him a bowhunting "purist". You don't have to agree with the label. I'm fine with that.
First off, I didn't know that we were arguing. Also, I didn't say you couldn't use it; just that it couldn't be used accurately. Another thing: By the above definitition, one could be a die-hard, hard-core, old-school bowhunting purist and still be a rifle hunter.That's why it doesn't fit.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Site Bouncer

I've said this before but I guess it bears repeating....

I don't have a problem with someone calling them self a "bow hunter"....I may not agree withthe labelbut I can live with it.Where I do have the problem is when said "bow hunter" starts to look down on others for not using a bow only or where the said "bow hunter" by default proclaims or insinuates that they are a better hunter or have risen to a higher platform of hunting simply by picking up a bow andheading into the woodswith it.

I know this is a bow hunting forum and therefore a "blind eye" will most likely be turned butelitism stems from this seemingly universally adoptedattitude....of course I don't expect the majority here to see it.....itis a bow hunting forum after all.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

I am a hunter at heart, pure and simple. I have killedbig gamewith rifles, pistols, shotguns, black powder, andcompounds. I am equal opportunity, I love them all.Some days I feel like one, some days like the other. The common thread which ties it all for me is hunting.

If I had to pick between them I would leave them all for the rifle. I have had a rifle in my hand my whole life, and the beauty and efficiency of a well tuned rifle speak to my soul. It becomes a part of me which moves without thought, and does my bidding without being asked, nearly of it's own free will. It will always be my go-to when things get tough. It doesn't mean it is better or worse than anything else, just that it is the weapon theat speaks to MY soul.

In the end though, the real question is whether the weapon you choose is a means to the end, or the end in and of itself. For me they are a means to an end,albeit an enjoyable one.
Great post!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I don't have a problem with someone calling them self a "bow hunter"....I may not agree withthe labelbut I can live with it.Where I do have the problem is when said "bow hunter" starts to look down on others for not using a bow only or where the said "bow hunter" by default proclaims or insinuates that they are a better hunter or have risen to a higher platform of hunting simply by picking up a bow andheading into the woodswith it.

I know this is a bow hunting forum and therefore a "blind eye" will most likely be turned butelitism stems from this seemingly universally adoptedattitude....of course I don't expect the majority here to see it.....itis a bow hunting forum after all.
Go back to Denver![8D]
Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Go back to Denver![8D]
lol!!

I wish I could......but alas, they wouldn't take me now.[&o]

Now the Bears are a different story, that O-Line is like Swiss Cheese...I like my chances.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Go back to Denver![8D]
lol!!

I wish I could......but alas, they wouldn't take me now.[&o]

Now the Bears are a different story, that O-Line is like Swiss Cheese...I like my chances.
Dude you would be a stud on the Lions Hell you could QB[:-]

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.