Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it about the DEER, the RACK, or BOTH ?

Tough call, I passed a buck during the rut this year that I saw on opening day. He was a real nice 9, 145" or so, definitely a shooter in my book. Well, he came by on Nov. 14, well within range, but had broken off EVERYTHING, all he was were main beams and 1 g2. So, he got the pass. My goal this year was a buck for the wall, bigger than my others, which he certainly was, but not as a 3-point. So, for me, its about the rack I guess. I'm hopeful he survived the orange army, and will be a giant next year.

Had he only had 1 tine broken...he's a dead deer.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I would let him walk. You know alot about that deer because of all the time a trail cam pics. I would pass him and hunt him next year as a 5 year old he will be a better and smarter deer and more of a trophy in my opinion. You have already accomplished what you set out to do you got him within range. You outsmarted a mature buck
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deer has already had a pretty rough season...I would let him pass in hopes of seeing him next year with a full head gear.

I have actually passed on a number of deer that have had one side busted off that were shooters.

For me it is about the combination of the deer and the rack. Now if that same deer came in and he was hurt from whatever claimed his antler, I would take the shot.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

im having trouble picturing that
Old 12-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Well foralot of us down here you really would have to change that deer's specs because a 4.5 yr old 4x4 with any kickers or not, broken or not, you better shoot him because you probably will never see him again. Now, change that to a 2.5 or 3.5 yr old 6 or 8 pt and I guess it would depend on the number of tags or what kind of season I was having
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand the thought process of an otherwise shooter losing that status due to being busted off, but it seems rather common, so this is back to one of those "to each his own" deals. My own, is that I am shooting.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I am at a point where I don't shoot any bucks that wouldn't have a place on my wall. So a badly busted up rack would likely cause me to give a deer a pass. I can fill my freezer with doe meat.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bit of both for me, everyone wants the big bone but I also look for good mature animals, outsmarting them is the ticket
Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an option: You have trail cam pics of him, shoot him and take him to a taxi. who can reconstruct the tine for you.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.