HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   i feel ashamed guys... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276432-i-feel-ashamed-guys.html)

my7pointmonster 12-02-2008 04:22 AM

i feel ashamed guys...

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan

07tomkat 12-02-2008 05:20 AM

RE: i feel ashamed guys...

I wouldn't worry about it man. Sometimes those feelings of joy don't appear right away for something that you harvest and once you get some time to reflect on what happened you will be happy.

Alot of bowhunters feel the same way about gun hunting and that is why they don't gun hunt and only go out during archery season. Do what makes you feel the happiest.

NavyDeerHunter 12-02-2008 05:56 AM

I hear ya and am in the same boat. I shot one on Saturday, our opening day of gun season and just did not feel the same. It was more just "meat in the freezer" than it was the thrill of the hunt and the pride and joy of accomplishment. I saw this deer coming from a good distance, had a chance to steady the ML on the trunk of my tree, have it in the cross hairs and simply wait for the shot opening. Not much of a challenge. If I would have had my bow that deer would have had to get much closer and from the area it was coming from would have stood a very good chance of spotting me and bolting.

BigRing 12-02-2008 06:15 AM

Hmmmmmm......You say you got to go hunting,spent some time w/ a friend, and got to harvest a nice doe. Also, throw in the current price of meat at the store.......I don't think anyone would think anything less of you.

GMMAT 12-02-2008 06:35 AM

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. ONLY person you have to be true to (hunting-wise) is you.

There's NOTHING wrong with taking game with a gun. It's just not "for me". Is it for you?

BowHuntingFool 12-02-2008 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan

Your kidding right?????? :eek: You should sell all your guns and move on, then you'll be a real hunter!;):D:D:D:D

bigcountry 12-02-2008 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Your kidding right?????? :eek: You should sell all your guns and move on, then you'll be a real hunter!;):D:D:D:D
Well this is a strange post. Hey man, do whatever it takes to get that feeling your looking for. Matt/PA was discussing this on PM one day. He just got a revolver and is all excited to pistol hunt. I don't blame him. I started blackpowder pistol hunting. I like using my toys. All of them. I love taking a 600 yard shot at a deer with my rifle and hand building that perfect load. Its a special skill in itself. I love watching the smoke roll after letting loose a roundball from a 44 walker on a cold day. I love watching my arrow lob from my longbow and that whisper quiet noise it makes. I love watching the an arrow scream at 280fps with bone crushing forcethru a deer. Just enjoy hunting, and the prepreation with your toys in the offseason.

buffhntr 12-02-2008 07:17 AM

Sounds like you need to hang up the rifle for good and bow hunt only. I felt the same way about 5 years ago. I shot a good 10pt with a gun and shortly after that I sold my deer guns and have hunted with only a bow since.

louddrummer69 12-02-2008 07:23 AM

Don't sweat it guy I feel the same way. I don't ever get too much joy rifle hunting. I guess what I should say is I love hunting so much that I will go rifle hunting but the joy I get after harvesting an animal is very minimal compared to that of a bow.

BobCo19-65 12-02-2008 07:26 AM

I know the feeling, I put down the gun also years ago in similar circumstances. Seems like your going through the stages.

If you want to save some time and money going through further stages, you may want to just try making a selfbow for yourself over the off season and see where it takes you. ;)