Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i feel ashamed guys... >

i feel ashamed guys...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i feel ashamed guys...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i feel ashamed guys...

After harvesting a doe and a buck with the bow this year, I had no interest (or need) to shoot one with the rifle. I sat with my dad for the first time in 20 years. It was very enjoyable seeing him get excited about deer we were seeing. Perhaps something like that would be an option for you? I'm not selling my rifle anytime soon. I very much enjoy shooting it, but it isn't close to the same challenge as bow hunting.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Its sad that someone feels upset about harvesting an animal. I have not shot a deer with a gun in a while, but i would not get upset to do so. I sure would not lose any sleep. Nothing unethical or illegal was done. The deer is just as dead and will eat all the same. I just dont understand the reason for the shame. I will be out in two weeks shooting bobcats and yotes with a rifle. I will not feel a bit shameful to do so. I have taken several varmits with my bows, and it is much more of a thrill, but Its not going to cause me any concern when I shot one with a rifle.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

I enjoy hunting deer no matter what the season or weapon. I prefer the bow but I like them all. I don't let myself get caught up in such things as which was more challenging and what not. It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH
It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.
I agree 100%. I shot one of the smallest deer I've ever killed Saturday morning. I shot it becuase my 11 year old son was with me in the ground blind, we sat until almost 10am. He was a tough little guy, staying out in the cold. When the doe came down the trail, I asked him if I should shoot it. He just looked at me funny and said "Isn't that why we went hunting?" Minutes later we were field dressing and dragging out "our" doe. We spent that afternoon cutting it up and putting it in the freezer. I'll take a day of hunting like that any day over killing a wallhanger while huntingby myself.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan
Speechless
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just feel like o0o0o0oo I shot one with a rifle look at Me mr. Outdoorsman I shot a doe from 90 yards after walking up on it. Then rthe gun went bang it ran 35 yards and piled up what an accomplished hunter that makes me. I think because rifle hunting takes the "personal" vendeta out of the situation it makes me feel like ohh big deal I guess like the one guy said he can set 600 yards away and drop it like a ton of crap. It would make it to me like ohh yay another one bites the dust I'd be more entused that I even hit the deer at 600 yards than accully killing it to begin with. I think I may start taking kids out hunting via I almost cried the first time I ever shot a deer. The feeling just isn't there anymore for me and rifle hunting its like the one guy said "its just filling the freezer". Which is absolutley true. Had I shot one in archery season then we wouldn't be doing this post right now but now that it came to this it just dosent feel right.

Ryan.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can relate. Had a similar situation. That was the last day I hunted with a gun. Nothing at all against gun hunting or killing deer with a gun. It's just a personal deal. Didn't do it for me anymore so I stopped. The excitement of killing a deer with a bow is the same if not more than day 1 for me. That will never go away. It's just a matter of what satisfies you. You'll figure it out.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I enjoy hunting deer no matter what the season or weapon. I prefer the bow but I like them all. I don't let myself get caught up in such things as which was more challenging and what not. It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.
Well said!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

This is the exact BS I've been preaching about. Why would you feel bad about shooting a doe? Would a little6 pointhave made you feel bettereven thoughan adult doe is ten times smarter than a yearling buck?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dopler

This is the exact BS I've been preaching about. Why would you feel bad about shooting a doe? Would a little6 pointhave made you feel bettereven thoughan adult doe is ten times smarter than a yearling buck?
Uhhhh what?

Quick Reply: i feel ashamed guys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.