Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i feel ashamed guys... >

i feel ashamed guys...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i feel ashamed guys...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i feel ashamed guys...

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Nothing wrong with rifle hunting not tripping your trigger; doesn't trip mine either and I only hunt with a bow now. We are always evolving and reaching different levels in our life.
Agreed... 100%. On the flip side of that coin, however, is the fact thatthere is also nothing wrong with rifle hunting continuing to trip your trigger - even after you've evolved.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Nothing wrong with rifle hunting not tripping your trigger; doesn't trip mine either and I only hunt with a bow now. We are always evolving and reaching different levels in our life.
Agreed... 100%. On the flip side of that coin, however, is the fact thatthere is also nothing wrong with rifle hunting continuing to trip your trigger - even after you've evolved.
Agreeing with your flipped coin, LC ......It has NOTHING to do with evolving or reaching a different level .... both sound like you look down at gun hunters ...it has to do with how easily you bore or what floats your boat ........
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Yea, I agree. Nothing wrong with rifle hunting at all. Nothing wrong with any legal method of hunting. Whatever trips your trigger.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Agreeing with your flipped coin, LC ......It has NOTHING to do with evolving or reaching a different level .... both sound like you look down at gun hunters ...it has to do with how easily you bore or what floats your boat ........
Not at all... Just nothing wrong with a guy not enjoying a certain type of activity that used to bring him enjoyment. We as humans are always growing, evolving, and reaching different levels in our lives, that bring us happiness and contentment. That is all I am saying.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I certainly love bow hunting, and I think we could all agree that taking one with a bow is generally more challenging then with a rifle. BUT i hardly would go as far as saying shooting one with a rifle is easy or *gasp* boring. You could probably make the argument that hunting with a rifle can be more challenging because there is generally more hunting pressure and often times the rut is over which can limit deer movement.

I can certainly appreciate someone wanting to limit themselves only to bow hunting and maybe someday i'll get to that point too, but i wouldn't bet the farm on it haha. I know i get just as shaken up seeing a deer at 100 yards with a rifle in my hands, as i do when i see a deer at 20 yards with my bow. You might also want to think about other forms of gun hunting too. maybe a high powered modern rifle with a powerful scope isn't for you, but what about an open sighted 30-30, or a flintlock muzzleloader or a handgun. All of those would severely limit your ability to dump them at several hundred yards and would require to to get up close and personal. just more food for thought.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

IMHO I cannot understand the ashamed feeling. What are you ashamed of?
I'm not trying to speak for my7pt but I think it might be the case that he justisn't able to get across with words how he feels. I think I know how he feels because I feel and feltit too...

The last buck I ever shot with my rifle was 4 seasons ago when I started bowhunting. After I shot it, I walked over to it and thought to myself, WOW I got about one tenth the rushthat I get with the bow. At that moment I didn't so much feel ashamed but I certainly wasn't anywhere near as proud of that buck as ones I've shot in the past. And at that moment, I sorta felt as if I'd done the buck and thus the creator wrong because I took a life that I wasn't more proud of. That was the year I decided I wouldn't ever shoot another buck with my rifle.

I think that is what the author means about the "shame" he felt.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm curious as to all the guys that are bow only, don't get the rush of gun kills, feel ashamed of killing deer with a gun anymore and want nothing to do with gun hunting actually sold their guns????? Be honest....
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

I like guns and am a gun head. Gunbroker.com can get addictive. I like the range and shooting competively with handguns..just not into gun hunting anymore.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I'm curious as to all the guys that are bow only, don't get the rush of gun kills, feel ashamed of killing deer with a gun anymore and want nothing to do with gun hunting actually sold their guns????? Be honest....
I love guns. Especially flinters. I love large bore pistols even more. Love long range shooting at 600-1000 yards. A 600yard shot is a challenge most cannot master. I love hunting with my selfbow. I love making bows. I just love hunting.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan
Well, if you really want to get up close and personal try using a knife? Just kidding man, it's perfectly fine either method you use to put some meat in the freezer and to get back in touch with our true nature of this world. I get you though, I won't want to kill another young buck or doe again. Since I began hunting a few years ago my only deer taken to date is a button buck that I thought was a doe. I used to call it a spike here on the forums because I thought that it would makeme feel better about myself but it doesn't. I took that one with a rifle. Last year was my first time bow hunting and I passed on a button buck, it kinda made me feel better but I then caught crap from my two hunting buddies later on back at deer camp although I know that if I did take it I would have caught some ribbing for taking a baby deer, LOL. From now on it's only mature deer for me.

Quick Reply: i feel ashamed guys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.