Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways >

Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways

Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways

Heard a story about big black bear (450+) that was taken last year in Waynesboro, Virginia. The hunter took it with a rifle I believe it was, however, when checking that bear over he found a tattoo on it. Well, he contacted the VDGIF and they gave him the 411 on his bear. It turned out that the bear approximately 12 years old and had gotten into some trash, garbage and was quite a nuisance when it was younger. So, when it was 1-2 years old it was darted, transported and released in Bath County, Virginia. Well, as I said, the bear was taken in Waynesboro, Va. The area in which the hunter took the bear was the exact area that the bear had been a nuance when it was young. The red dot on the map indicates warmsprings, va where the bear was released and waynesboro is clearly indicated. Traveling by car this is about 60 miles, which, may not seem like a lot, but it still seems incredible that this bear found his way back to his original home range.

Just a cool story about an incredible animal

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways

That's pretty neat that they can find there way back like that. I wonder what It Is that gets them back specially being he was dropped off there and didn't walk there? I've heard of dogs doing the same thing. I bear hunt In northern Minnesota and and one of the guys In our group had seen a good sized 3 legged bear but couldn't get a shot off on It. The next evening that bear was shot 25 miles from where he seen him the night before.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Default RE: Bear Travel Distances = lonnggg ways

A friend was telling me about that whole trapping process since he will be helping on the team who does this for East TN this summer...I was shocked. He said it's basically pointless to trap and relocate because the bears almost always find their way back in no time. The trouble makers in Gatlinburg have been trapped, relocated across state borders in NC, only to make it back to Gatlinburg again roaming the streets.

Bears kind of fascinate me, especially since I've never even seen one.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]