Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread >

Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

It's crazy how each area has It's own characteristics, kind of why I made this thread to see what everyone elses were. That's a strong characteristic In your area no doubt!! G1's are a big part of the score also.
And a great thread it is! It took me about 3 years of seeing mature bucks to realize I had a major genetics problem as far as brow tines go. Rest of the rack you couldn't ask for better genes. Tall, wide and very massive. I have a 4 1/2 8pt. that nets 139" and some change and only 7" of that is G-1 score. I shot a 3 1/2 out of there in '02 that scored 151 3/8" as a 10pt. His brow tines were only 3" a piece. But, he had great tine lenth a 21" inside spread on both main beams are over 23". This is a very good thread indeed!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 PM

it seems in my immediate area, bucks allowed to reach full maturity usually make it to the perfect typical 10 stage. tall tined, wide, heavy horned monarchs. There are some that never make it past an 8 too though. I have seen some absolute pigs in the area, just never had one within bowrange. Last year was a complete bust, the deer just weren't in there like years past...but they were back this year. Next year should be the best yet.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 2 bucks in Minn. that are almost exactly the same right down to the start of a fifth point on both right sides. These deer were shot about 4-5 miles apart. I wondered if they were poss. brothers.
I bow hunted a place in Wis. where the bucks had much longer then normal brow tines.
I firmly believe thatdifferent areas have different genetic traits.
Some of these could be due to the type of area they live in such as dense thick woods would suit bucks with narrow spreads and shorter tines.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: TJF

8 pts are still very common here. 20" inside spread is wide here. Mature bucks are usually in the 16 - 18 "range. 3- 4 inch brows are common. 8 - 10 inch G2 and G3 is very good.

These two bucks are big for my area...

What would a buck like this score TJ?
145 - 150"9 pt

2nd buck is 160 1/8"

Tim
Old 12-01-2008, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: TJF

8 pts are still very common here. 20" inside spread is wide here. Mature bucks are usually in the 16 - 18 "range. 3- 4 inch brows are common. 8 - 10 inch G2 and G3 is very good.

These two bucks are big for my area...

Hey Tim, that buck looks familiar! Did you push pause and then take the picture?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

where i hunt we have two distinct characteristics. One they usually bladed brow tines, and two they usually have a strong side meaning one side of the rack is always taller. Almost every buck is that way.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/crenshawjohnson/brian.jpg

deer up close is perfect example, he has bladed brows and the right side is bigger then left.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 AM

There absolutely are common 'styles/shapes' of racks. Around here I don't know of any real theme, I've seen a lot of different shapes.

There was about a 4 year run a short while back, where I, guys in my group, and some neighbors that I'd talk to in maybe a 3-4 sq. mile area, were killing a lot of bucks with kickers on the G2's. I killed several with kickers on both G2's as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like all I see around here are basket racked 6pts.[:@]
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our bucks are usually typical 8pts. We've only ever takenthree 9's, and never a 10 - in over 20yrs on the same farm. We have alot of bucks that either don't have brows....or only one. This year ironically, we tookfour8pts, and all had both brows. Go figure. Widest one we ever took has been 18", haven't seen many much wider than that.

Edit: I should say....our good 2.5, and our 3.5 and up bucks are typical 8pts. Most of our 1.5's and alot of 2.5's are spikes and forks, with the occassional nicer one showing up.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

bucks in my region are generally 15-18inches wide and have relatively short brow times, there are occasional high racked deer seen but I haven't gotten one yet

Quick Reply: Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.