Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread >

Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

What are your racks like In your woods? Wide, tall, narrow?? The mature bucks In the woods I hunt generally were wide 18" to 20" 10 pointers with decent tine length up until the last 2 years or so. The buck I got last year was not a common rack for the area. Mine was tall and had ok width (17" spread). The last 2 years I've gotten more trail cam pics of bucks like the one I got last year. Like Greg said In his thread the 8 point rack Is starting to take over some, same thing going on here In my woods.

Here Is what the normal mature buck would generally look like up until the last 2 years (10 point).

Here's the new 8 point look I've been seeing In the trail cam pics the last 2 years. The 1st picture Is the buck I shot last year. Look how some of the other pics from this year and last year follow his same design.

Big difference In the 2 rack styles. I'm sure the 10 point look Isn't completely gone but the new 8 point look Is showing up more.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread.

The farms I hunt in southeast Missouri, most of the bucks I see are pretty wide. Up in Northern MO where I hunt, I see a lot more mass, and taller racks.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

I believe this guy is 2.5, as his face is longer than a 1 1/2.
I would guess his dressed weight @ 130'ish lbs.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

These are some racks from some local deer here I've taken over the last three seasons.

I shot this 3.5yr old in '06......andhe scored 106-4/8"

I shot this buck in '07.....and he's a 4.5yr old that scored 103-1/8" as a 200# buck.

I shot this buck on Halloween (I'm almost certain he's the buck I shot....but the recovery, honestly, was made, today....as I scouted an area I had not been into this season, at all. I have no idea on his age....as I haven't had him aged, yet.....but he rough-scored 105-1/8".

I took this 6-pointer on Friday 11/28 (two days ago). Again....I'm not certain on his age......but he scored (approx......as I'm awaiting a "ruling" on how to score him) 96-6/8". I'll let you know what his age is approximated at when we jawbone age him, this week.

In over 200 sits .....spanning the better part of 4 seasons.....I've seen (now) 4 bucks that would score over 100" from stand.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

For my woods Steve, one of the traits that is common is the split brow tine. Some even get some extra junk on them:

Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

In the woods I used to hunt, until it got subdivided, almost everything I saw or shot was an 8 pointer. In the woods where I mostly hunt now they could be anything. There are a lot of odd point bucks.....7,9 and 11 points. However, the majority are 8 pointers. In the last 6 years I've taken 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 pointers. I kind of like that, it's like Christmas, you never know what you'll get!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM

For some reason at our cabin here in WI they tend to have really short brows.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

north farm= tall and tight racked with main beams coming back together and almost touching with giant browtines

south farm= wide and tall with short brow tines or Super Tall but only 14-15 inches wide with short brows
Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

House= Around 15-18 inches wide and no height or really tall and massive, but no wider than 15 or so inches.
Other farm= Tall and massive, split brows, really tall brows, or no brows at all what so ever.
I have come to the conclusion that swamp deer have the taller, more massive racks, and field deer have the wider racks. Reason being, its easier to move through a swamp when your tall and skinny.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seem to be getting a lot of 10 pointers on camera. And a few of them have the crab claws out front. Both traits are cool with me, not complaining.

Quick Reply: Rack characteristics, A spin off of Gregs thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.