Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Super Bucks?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Super Bucks?

Any of you guys ever see any bucks that are .....well....super for their age?

Every once in a while I see a buck that is well ahead of his peers. Although I sometimes see it in 3 1/2 and older bucks, the most common are the ones I see in the 2 1/2 yo class. Where I hunt, most 2 1/2's are 6-8 pointers with the occasional 10 point. They usually range in rack size from 70"" to 115". Occasionally I see one that grosses 125 or a little better. This year I saw one that I had at 126" as an 8 pointer.He had beautiful shape and symertry. He was hanging around a 3 1/2 that could have been his older brother. Come to think of it, I saw what I believed to be a 4 1/2 with the same genes too!

These bucks usually have about 10" or more on their racks thenthe other bucks in their age class.

The bucks that I've been seeing (the super ones) are all 8 pointers and I believe that I'm seeing a genitic trait being passed on.

Below is a pic of a buck I missed in 2006 that I think is part of this strain(?) I haven't seen him since. Two years before him, I saw another one that was bigger that had the look also. Only saw him one time.

Has anyone else seen this?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Super Bucks?

Well I dont think this quite makes it as a super buck, although maybe for where I hunt. The buck I shot this year was aged at 1 1/2 and was the biggest taken off the land in five years. I don't know much but I always pictured deer that young as spikes or little forks, not an 8. Anyways this is him, the point on his right side was broken off but it was a symetrical rack before (trail cam).
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen what appears to be a 2.5 very similiar to the buck in the picture but I have to be honest, how exactly do you know that buck in the pic is 2.5? When it comes to telling the difference between a 3.5 and older I have a problem unless he is very old, as far as body lines.

I still believe that most of the big racked bucks with mass are 4.5 and older. In my area I've yet to see a 2.5 with much mass, a 3.5 with more mass, and the true 150's on up with mass 4.5 and older. Probably don't make sense in what I am trying to say.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a 2.5 that I would have loved to see at 4.5.
He grossed 108" as a 7.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I've seen what appears to be a 2.5 very similiar to the buck in the picture but I have to be honest, how exactly do you know that buck in the pic is 2.5? When it comes to telling the difference between a 3.5 and older I have a problem unless he is very old, as far as body lines.

I still believe that most of the big racked bucks with mass are 4.5 and older. In my area I've yet to see a 2.5 with much mass, a 3.5 with more mass, and the true 150's on up with mass 4.5 and older. Probably don't make sense in what I am trying to say.
Sorry for the confusion! [&:] I believe that the buck in the pic is at least 5 1/2 and is responsible for for keeping this trait going!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the confusion! I believe that the buck in the pic is at least 5 1/2 and is responsible for for keeping this trait going!
He sure is a nice buck and I could believe he could be even a 4.5. I guess what I meant was that I personally am not good at judging the difference between age groups of bucks[8D]. I know that you can though Greg. I should study the body lines
more. I think I judge too much on antler mass and body size.

I could have had a good shot at a 4.5 or older buck a few days ago in a new place but simply failed to follow my first thought when climbing a tree. 50 yards further south and he would have came by with the wind in my favor, but I chose to think to much and it cost me. If, should of, would of, could of..............does me no good[:@].
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

For the most part, 2 1/2's have daintier mass and a more slender body and neck.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg i tried getting an opinion on this in the deer hunting forums, but nobody really took a stab at it...

I believe that these 2 deer are the same...they are obviously both in the same gene pool,

2007, as a 2.5:

And this year, as a 3.5,

As you can see, he would have had to make a HUGE leap...but the top picture doesn't do him much justice. I saw him twice last year and he look a lot bigger in person. I think if they are the same deer then he would qualify as a "Super Buck".
Old 11-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

There was a great article is I believe in Deer & Deer Hunting. Charles Alsheimer had outdoor professional biologists at his farm and the majority if not all of the deer that these guys tried to age over 3 1/2, they aged wrong. If these guys, that do this type of work for a living, can'tage the deer correctly I don't believe most deer hunters (me included)can age deer correctly once they get to 3 1/2.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Super Bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.