Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

I would have to agree with the Euro mount. You can never be 100% sure its yours, just mount it and tell people the story. It leaves for a good open ending for them to make their own conclusions.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you are worrying to much about what everyone else thinks and not about what you think.

If I was 100% certain that was my buck I would have it mounted, as you killed it and later found it.

If I was not 100% sure it was my buck it would go inwith myshed / skull "trophies".

And I am talking 100% not a doubt, not maybe, or pretty sure or anything else under certain....

In either instance after a month had gone by I would not tag the animal as a bow kill. I would call the game warden for a possession tag.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

they say a lot of the time a gut shot deer will loop back or back track
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

This happened to me with the very first deer I ever arrowed. I found it days ( not a month) later. The meat was a total loss. I tagged the deer even though by law I was not required to do so. I killed it, it was my deer-no doubt whatsoever. I would have hated myself had I not tagged it. I would have hated myself even more if I would have been responsible for the demise of more than one deer that year ( I think the conservationist in me was whispering in my ear). With that said, I think in your situation there is reasonable doubt. Sure, some clues have bearing, but are they conclusive? You, and only you,are the judge and jury here. Follow your heart... use your head.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Me Personally I would not tag it. I like the antlers, but ultimately I hunt for the meat. You were not able to partake in any part of the animal so I'd save my tag for an animal that I could put in the freezer. Ethical or not I'm gonna hold out for something I can eat.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I think you are worrying to much about what everyone else thinks and not about what you think.

If I was 100% certain that was my buck I would have it mounted, as you killed it and later found it.

If I was not 100% sure it was my buck it would go in with my shed / skull "trophies".

And I am talking 100% not a doubt, not maybe, or pretty sure or anything else under certain....

In either instance after a month had gone by I would not tag the animal as a bow kill. I would call the game warden for a possession tag.

Agree a 1000%

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I look at it as you didn't take two, even if it's the one you shot. It got away, died, spoiled and you didn't recover it. Oh sure, you found the bones weeks later, but you lost this deer if it's yours. If the coyotes had been on the job you probably wouldn't have found anything. To me it's just like the biggest fish that always seems to get away. I don't care if he swallows the hook and dies, you didn't get him. And like I say, as far as keeping the rack, that becomes a legal thing state by state.
I'm just wondering how killing the deer isn't "taking" him? The deer was removed from the herd. Whether it's in your freezer or not, it's dead and as such, the tag should be punched.

If you even touch a brown bear up here with a bullet or arrow, your tag is punched even if it's not a mortal wound. For all other species: "Your harvest ticket(s) must be carried in the field and must be validated by cutting out the month and day immediately upon killing game." Pretty simple, if you killed it you punch your tag.

We can't decide morals for you Jeff, they're a personal thing. You're the only one that knows whether or not you killed him. You'll have to wrestle with that one on your own but I, for one, amnot going to pass any kind of judgements one way or the other.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Tag it or don't tag it; claim it or don't claim it. I like the idea about the Euro mount and tell the story and use as a reminder to practice. I would like to hear more about what mistake was made. From what you said, it is hard for me to believe that this deer went this distance. Was is high and missed the vitals? I really want to hear what the mistake was.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

would like to hear more about what mistake was made. From what you said, it is hard for me to believe that this deer went this distance. Was is high and missed the vitals? I really want to hear what the mistake was.
Mistake? I dunno. I'm not ashamed of the shot. I hit where I was aiming. I'm all ears.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

[
I'm just wondering how killing the deer isn't "taking" him? The deer was removed from the herd. Whether it's in your freezer or not, it's dead and as such, the tag should be punched.
So, what you're saying is that if you were to hit a deer with your truck you'd tag the deer and you'd be done hunting?

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.