Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Schultzy.....I don't understand your and Rob's point. WHY would it be "better" if my buck was alive and well....v. this one being my buck?

Thanks.
We just talked on the phone and you didn't ask me this one and it's only my thoughts on my feelings but this is the reason I said what I said and it was posed as I'm not sure which is better,

For me and my feelings, It would sadden me more to know this is the outcome of my shot vs him walking still. In all tense and purposes, (Other than wildlife usage), it's been wasted. I'd do what I could, (Euro mount) to "honor" the animal but in telling the story, it would be factual. I'd sooner see him (my animal) walking then find him in that manner but I'd rather find him than never know. Just my feelings, neither is wrong nor right.

As far as ethic police, I couldn't nor would tag him and under PA law and my own ethics I wouldn't be legally bound to either. It's no different than finding a shed at that point and I would keep hunting. It is what it is and you did everything in your power to find him and more than most and I applaud that. Shooting another buck would not be wrong in the least.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amazing creatures those whitetail are. Always seem to circle back to the shooter.. or back where they came.

It would be a safe bet that it's your buck Jeff.

As far as tagging him.. that would depend on the state in which you live.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would there be any difference if you found the buck in a couple more months when the season is over and you are not able to tag him? I say just do a nice euro mount and forget about the tag!!
No....There wouldn't. I just had a phone conversation with Rob and I'm gonna euro mount him (after talking to Chris....my GW) and keep hunting.

I appreciate everyone's honest opinions. I'll clear my intentions with my GW and move on.
I think you are doing right by the law Jeff. I can't tell you about the ethics of it, because thats all on you. I'm sure you'll do whats right by you.

By the letter of most states game laws, you have to tag an animal before you remove it from where you shotor recovered it... having the head of the thing with you kinda requires that you have a tag for it... now, most GWs unless they had an axe to grind wouldn't fool with you over that... but... they could. The got afew guys from our hunt club for not having atag notched and having drug their deer out to the road on Thanksgiving day. Granted they had the tags... but... there again.. you can get a ticket for going 56 in a 55 too.

Its good you called the GW, he will probably give you a tag for it and let you keep it... I don't know how your part of NC is... but in my part of VA riding around with or having a set of buck horns in your vehical and not having a tag or a check # for it is asking for trouble.

I found two big 8s locked up and dead last October... I called the GW, he gave me possession tags for them... no problem. Last thing I wanted to be accused of was poaching.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you went public with this and you don't tag it there might be some law on the books that you need some kind of tag for the head. As for it it is your deer and what you should do I think it is your deer and I remember the story If it was me I would tag it. Your lucky enough to get 2 buck tags. I know you want to keep hunting but why get greedy? You shot 2 now move on. Just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm late to this, but I'll still offer my opinion. Honestly I don't think there is any accepted protocol in a situation like this and the ethics police and take a flying leap. (Which, fortunately I don;t think any have really showed up here anyways).
I'd guess that this is very likely the buck you shot. Bummer you didn't find him in a timely fashion, but getting closure helps a lot. Your decidion from here on out to do whatever you wish as far as tagging and the rack & stuff, can only be made by you. Don't get yourself in too much an ethical dilemma as like I said htis situation doesn't realy have a right or wrong answer.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

You can never be 100% technically sure it's your deer, hence I wouldn't tag it. Just as I wouldn't tag a deer someone else killed. I would however "honor" the animal by doing something with the found rack of a animal I think I shot or "would've" shot given the oportunity.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont really understand the whole taggin the deer part.. ... so say it is your deer....maybe your wound wasnt the factor of its death.. its a goodchance but theres so many other things that could happen... is there roads near, maybe he got hit by a car that caused his death, maybe he got in a fight with another buck they got tangled up broke his neck the other one got loose .... i know theres alot of MAYBESthere but thatswhy i would NOT tag him... how canyou be 100% you killed him..........but i know logical thinkin says why he died..... to each his is own though... its your tag you spend it the way you see fit
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would there be any difference if you found the buck in a couple more months when the season is over and you are not able to tag him? I say just do a nice euro mount and forget about the tag!!
No....There wouldn't. I just had a phone conversation with Rob and I'm gonna euro mount him (after talking to Chris....my GW) and keep hunting.

I appreciate everyone's honest opinions. I'll clear my intentions with my GW and move on.
Exactly what I would do.

Congrats on finding your buck, sorry about the circumstances. Not much more you can do, glad you found him.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just had a phone conversation with Rob and I'm gonna euro mount him (after talking to Chris....my GW) and keep hunting.

I agree with this also and this Is exactly what I would of done.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go back and cut that sucker open man. If that head is in there, and there would be a great chance that it is, you would have a definate answer. Put a mask on and some laytex gloves and dig in. If the rage is in there then you have the right to put that sucker on the wall and be just as proud as anyone else. Lots of guys find there deer days later with the meat ruined and put them on the wall. If you don't find the head then there is no way you can be 100% sure. My thinking is that is the buck you shot.

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.