Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Crazy... Can we see a picture of the rack?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I just want to know what the consensus is for protocol. I'm serious. If I keep this buck/rack as my own....I'll tag it and be done with buck hunting this year. If I don't tag it......he ain't mine...and I'll keep hunting.
Only YOU can answer that one. What does your gut tell you? Is that your deer or not?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Jeff, its your deer. Everything points to it being yours.

If you want to "do the right thing," tag it and hunt does the rest of the season.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Crazy... Can we see a picture of the rack?
When I shot the buck I shot Halloween morning.....I told everyone I thought he was a 90-100" buck. I rough taped this one at 105". And like I said.....I was looking through foggy binos. After I decided I'd take him.....I never looked at the rack, again.

Here he is....

Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I just want to know what the consensus is for protocol. I'm serious. If I keep this buck/rack as my own....I'll tag it and be done with buck hunting this year. If I don't tag it......he ain't mine...and I'll keep hunting.

I just wanna know what the right thing to do is.

TEmbry....I'd rather have closure and know.....v. an unknown. If a deer is dead, anyways (there's definitely a dead buck. That I know).....I'd like to put some closure to this.
Would you tag a road kill? If you kill an unedible deer in most states the DNR will give you another tag. I don't think I'd try to get all bent out of shape about tagging a deer that died weeks ago and the meat was wasted. It's a FOUND deer. If the law there says to have the rack you must tag the deer, well hell, I'm leaving him lay. The rack is nothing special and hunting is much more fun than looking at the one that got away.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I wouldn't tag it unless I found the broadhead. I like the metal detector idea.
I would do a euro on the antlers and tell the story as it happened. Some stuff just never gets figured out.
This is hunting not stem cell research. It doesn't have to bethe huge ethical issue/debate that is brewing.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I'd have to agree with you Jeff that it'sgot to beyour buck. Seems to me he circled back to his bedding/core area where you originally shot him. How many other nearly identical 8 point bucks are there in the area that got shot in nearly the identical spot on the right side and ended up in the very location you shot yours. No doubt in my mind its the deer you hit. He looks about like a deer would look that has been laying there in cold weather for a month. Congrats on the recovery. Glad he wasn't a completly lost deer. Don't worry about losing the meat. There are plenty of other does to be had for eatin'. He looks like a nice one at that, now tag him up and enjoy your success this season!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I would do a euro on the antlers and tell the story as it happened.
Hey Kevin.....that's logical.Thanks.

_Dan.....I think he's mine, too (or...the one I shot).

I won't likely ever know, though.

I can see the ehtics police reigning down if I took another buck, though. Call me a skeptic.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 AM

I would do a euro on the antlers and tell the story as it happened.
Hey Kevin.....that's logical.Thanks.

_Dan.....I think he's mine, too (or...the one I shot).

I won't likely ever know, though.

I can see the ehtics police reigning down if I took another buck, though. Call me a skeptic.
You inserted the can of worms into the openerwhen you asked what the correct protocol is.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

You inserted the can of worms into the openerwhen you asked what the correct protocol is.
Why is it a can of worms? It's an honest question.

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.