Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

I believe you did the right thing here, Jeff. Just too many factors line up to support this as your buck and following that mindset you'd be tiptoeing over the line by ignoring thisand shooting another. Congrats on the season.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I read all pages and was sitting on the sidelines to see what decision you made. I think you made the right one! All indicators point to this being your buck, and after all the work you put into tracking it weeks ago, you deserve to tag it.
Several years ago I made a bad shot on a buck and waited an hour before starting tracking. As I stepped out from the tree where I shot him from, I heard a stick crack and looked around and here he came walking right back to the tree I shot him from. After 1 hour he had made a complete circle and died within 20 yards of the treehe was arrowed from. They do not associate being hit with an arrow IMO with being attacked by a predator (hunter). In this case I believe this buck circled back and died in the area he felt secure in, probably within the first 24 hours of being hit.
Congratulations, Jeff, on a fine trophy!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

What happens now when you find another buck with an arrow or rage broadhead in it? Do you tag it as well? Do you not recover it or it's head? Just curious.

LT
He wont ..... did you read the whole thread, LT? It was his buck...99.99%
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM

I see you have made your mind up so my opinion is of little value but I guess I like to read what I type .. I would not tag the deer in this situation. I just wouldn't. I don't think you have a moral or ethical obligation to do it. If I was certain it was my buck I would display it as such, end of story.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good call Jeff. Shoot a big doe and use the cape for that rack and put that sucker on your wall. There is one way that you could prove to every menber on this forum that it is indeed your buck. Take a picture with you and the buck and your tongue buried deep into the bucks eye socket. That would release any doubt for sure.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

What happens now when you find another buck with an arrow or rage broadhead in it? Do you tag it as well? Do you not recover it or it's head? Just curious.

LT
[/blockquote]

Yeah well, I still wonder about the other .1% PT, I say cut the deer open or wait until the carcass decomposes and lookfor that broadhead and/or arrow. Just me. I would not waste my buck tag on a deer that I could not prove 100% he was mine. Just would not do it.

LT
Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I didnt find a BH. I didn't find a shaft. Honestly....it's pretty messy inside there (a lot worse than the outside).....and a lof of the "innards" are history.

I'm just using deductive reasoning....based on who bowhunts around here.....the wound on the buck.....and positioning.

I'm gonna euro mount the buck and I'll tell the story just as it happened. Hell you guys know the whole story. I just didn't find the arrow. Period. Did it fall out? Did he pull it? Who knows? Is this "my" buck? Ya know.....again I have to use reasoning. I feel like it is. I'll decide on tagging him....but honestly I think it's the right thing to do......If I'm gonna say I killed him.
I really wouldn't have expected you to find a broadhead. If he lived that long and was shot that far back I'd say he pulled that arrow out one way or the other long before he expired.

Sorry about your Bad Luck on your Buck!

Dan
Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

LT
LT....really.....what's the odds another deer with a wound in the exact spot.....was killed two properties over......and comes to rest 60-70yds from where I arrowed mine? What happens when you arrow a buck and find him the next day......and don't find the arrow? Is it your deer? How do you know? I DID cut him open. No arrow.

In the original thread....I said the buck was (what I thought to be) in the 90-100" mark. I rough scored this buck at 105". I also only saw his left side (the smaller one).

I'm kinda done explaining this. I did what I thought was the right thing. I'd feel worse shooting another one and would think I was "cheating" by taking one too many.

"Waste" my buck tag? You kidding?

Yeah well, I still wonder about the other .1% PT
And that would be .01%. There's a greater chance my dog's the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt start digging unless you wanna start gagging. hope its your deer
Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

[blockquote]quote:

LT
[/blockquote]

Yeah well, I still wonder about the other .1% PT, I say cut the deer open or wait until the carcass decomposes and lookfor that broadhead and/or arrow. Just me. I would not waste my buck tag on a deer that I could not prove 100% he was mine. Just would not do it.

LT
Waste a buck tag on a buck he shot? What? Waste? Im lost.

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.