Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quad questions

Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: quad questions

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL....and how much wull THAT set you back?

It was little high but you and your buddy could have legally rode back to his truck and your deer wouldn't have a busted rack if you'd been using my RZR instead of the Eiger.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rofl. You guys crack me up "what is this snow you speak of?" Hahaha we get a lot of snow here and I mean a lot of snow. So 4x4 is the way to go. Haha. Mddave I'm prolly gonna get that one your reccomending seems like its gonna have everything I need.

Ryan.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had my Yamaha grizzly 700 w/power steering for 1.5 years. Love it and would by another one. Have planted plots with it, hauled deer with it etc..... Great machine, great power.

Shane
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you weren't so far away, I would tell you to come on over and take it for a spin.

Shane
Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Am I the only one who'd buy a late year model (like Jeff), or better yet just buy a used one? Soon as you take that new bike home you loose a substantial amount of money in it, no matter what ANYONE tries to tell you. If you want the peace of mind of buying new, then pay that extra. If you just want a normal 4wheeler to take hunting and go anywhere...get a used, Honda at that. My dad has owned 5 or 6 different Hondas in my lifetime, not a one of them have ever seen a shop. Our Polaris, junk. Our Suzukis, junk. I'm a Honda guy, IMO their reliability can't be beat. We bought our last one new, a 06 Rancher 350, only got 4x2 though. Most people have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 4x4, they just want the decal. Unless you want to go doing some serious, and I mean SERIOUS, mudding or live on the side of a jagged mountain....4x4 is over rated. They don't handle as well, cut as sharp, etc. Ive had my 4x2 in some pits that I wouldn't dream of taking it, and made it out just fine....Just know how to handle a bike.
Temb, thats a little stretch there pal. Most 4WD quads are switchable to 2WD, so other than the little added weight theres really no reason not to have it, and it wont affect your handling whatsoever unless your comparing Sport/Utility machines. For a hunting rig, go 4WD, theres no reason not to.

I ride some pretty nasty conditions with a lot of 4WD machines and i can go pretty much anywhere they can. However my quad is useless for any kind of work, its simply a toy.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Am I the only one who'd buy a late year model (like Jeff), or better yet just buy a used one? Soon as you take that new bike home you loose a substantial amount of money in it, no matter what ANYONE tries to tell you. If you want the peace of mind of buying new, then pay that extra. If you just want a normal 4wheeler to take hunting and go anywhere...get a used, Honda at that. My dad has owned 5 or 6 different Hondas in my lifetime, not a one of them have ever seen a shop. Our Polaris, junk. Our Suzukis, junk. I'm a Honda guy, IMO their reliability can't be beat. We bought our last one new, a 06 Rancher 350, only got 4x2 though. Most people have absolutely no need whatsoever for a 4x4, they just want the decal. Unless you want to go doing some serious, and I mean SERIOUS, mudding or live on the side of a jagged mountain....4x4 is over rated. They don't handle as well, cut as sharp, etc. Ive had my 4x2 in some pits that I wouldn't dream of taking it, and made it out just fine....Just know how to handle a bike.
I'm going to disagree with almost everything you just said. If you are paying to much off the show room floor in this economy, then you need to learn how to deal a little better. I got a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with my NEW machine and I bought it for 1500 under sticker before I bargained for the free top and windshield. I've owned every machine you mentioned above and currently have a suzuki, kawasaki, polaris, honda, yamaha and have yet to find one of them that's junk. Let me introduce you to Preventive Maintenance. Try changing the oil and greasing the bearings once in a while maybe cleaning the air filter for kicks. Granted every company is going to produce a lemon, but it looks like you bought every lemon made except the honda's. A 2wd drive utility fourwheeler is plain ignorant. Try going over a half decent size log after a good rain without the front wheels pulling and get back to me. I'll take any peppy 4x4 and out handle you in any terrain, Period; but maybe I'm the one that can handle the bike.

Strike nice Z, that is my single most favorite 4wheeler ever. For fun, they don't make a better one.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: NChunterman

I'm going to disagree with almost everything you just said. If you are paying to much off the show room floor in this economy, then you need to learn how to deal a little better. I got a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with my NEW machine and I bought it for 1500 under sticker before I bargained for the free top and windshield. I've owned every machine you mentioned above and currently have a suzuki, kawasaki, polaris, honda, yamaha and have yet to find one of them that's junk. Let me introduce you to Preventive Maintenance. Try changing the oil and greasing the bearings once in a while maybe cleaning the air filter for kicks. Granted every company is going to produce a lemon, but it looks like you bought every lemon made except the honda's. A 2wd drive utility fourwheeler is plain ignorant. Try going over a half decent size log after a good rain without the front wheels pulling and get back to me. I'll take any peppy 4x4 and out handle you in any terrain, Period; but maybe I'm the one that can handle the bike.
LMAO. I dont really care if you bought it for 2k under sticker, try selling your bike for what you originally gave, you can't. Im just going from personal experience, we bought the suzukis (lower end models back in the 90s, to be expected) and they always had something wrong with them. The Polaris we bought was used as well, maybe the prior owner abused it, but again, it never would run just right. Every Honda we bought ran perfectly fine, never once have we had to replace parts.

Greasing bearings, changing fluids, checking air filters, thats all regular upkeep?? Not sure what you are implying, but someone who DOESN'T do this, well?? Introduce me to, seriously man, nevermind.

2wd ignorant? LOL You are the 4x4 decal type of guy I can see. Go over a log without the tire slipping? See thats what I mean, even if the tires slip, you can still make it over the log easily, goes back to handling the bike..or....go AROUND the freakin log...or gasp, even hop off and give it a push over it...Was the 1k+ extra you spent bumping from 2x4 to 4x4 really worth riding over that log? Dont answer that. As far as maneuverability, take a 2x4 and do a complete circle, measure the turn radius, take a 4x4 in same bike and measure turn radius, then come back to me and tell me how you learned that 2x4s cut sharper, equating to easier maneuverability in tight trails in the woods.

Im not saying 4x4s wont go places a 2x4 can't...im just saying for a HUNTING rig, you dont have to go those places...go around that mud pit.

On a tight quartered trail (what we ride around here)..I can take my ignorant 350 2x4 and run off and leave the bigger 4x4 400s in the woods trails. Now take me to a deep mud pit, and Id be off pushing while he is watching on the other side. Its all about knowing what you are going to do with your bike, and most guys just dont need 4x4, they just think they do.

So its back to, knowing what you want to do with your bike...want to go through 2ft of mud regularly or climb mt everest with yours? go with a 4x4....just want something to do light trail riding, go through mud rather easily, take out stands, etc (most guys hunting situations) save some money and get a 2x4. If it makes you feel more secure at night, buy a 4x4 sticker and slap it on.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy there boys I'm gonna get a 4x4 for the snow reasons funny to see you two bickering however you just gotta realize one has advantages and disadvatages the same as the others.

Ryan.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Tem you kill me. Again, I ain't push anything over a log unless it was a gift (freebie) in which case I'd make due. For the record until I purchased the RZR I always repeat ALWAYS rode a 2wd sportbike i.e. Z400 350 warrior as we both know are pointless as a "hunting" rig. I don't know where you hunt but my land owners don't like for me spinning up the properties that I hunt therefore I use 4wd when it's remotely questionable, that alone is worth the extra $1000 for 4wd. I try to kill big deer and I'm a heavy dude, there is no way you are dragging a 200lb deer up some of the steep slopes I hunt without leaving a few dead places in the grass. As far as mud pits and the such, why should you have to go around anything? They way you put it you might as well just drag it out to the road. Again, I'm sorry for bagging on ya, but I can sell my RZR right now for what I've got in it and it's less than 5 months old off the lot. I searched for a dealer that would forego a huge profit margin for future business and I left with a heck of a deal. Ask Aaron (buckmaster) he'll tell ya, this dealership don't play around they want your business.

Edit - Tem I just reread your whole post for the third time. I think we are discussing two different machines. I'm talking about a do all machine and you are talking about a trail riding machine. In which case I'd go with a sportbike.

Double Edit lol - no bickering here. I'm gonna call it a discussion.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Yea like I said, you do more than just, hang trails and drag out deer on normal trails with yours. If I am using it as a basic hunting tool, I dont need to go through mud pits and over logs, Ill take the less troublesome route around.

Now going out and just having fun rippin and roarin over and through anything in the way? bigger and badder is better.

MOST guys who hunt mild terrain dont NEED 4x4, its just a convenience in rare occasions...exceptions to every rule, I was going by terrain around here. There isn't a spot around I couldn't reach with a 2x4.

Quick Reply: quad questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.