Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quad questions

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default quad questions

ok for all the guys who own quads.

I'm looking to get a quad that I can use to hang my treestands with and get access to the way far reaces of properties. I'm gonna get something with 4 wheel drive and power steering. What I'm looking for is some info I looked at some hondas and I liked what they had to offer. So with all that said anyone got and imput for a good quat for around 8 grand ?
Ryan.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: quad questions

Power steering isnt needed on a 4wheeler and very few even offer this feature. And from what I've heard about the feature it actually makes it TOO easy to steer and can actually be more detrimental to your driving than beneficial.

If you're willing to spend 8 grand you can buy any 4 wheeler out there. If you're serious about buying one you need to shop around and you can find something that will get everything you need done and be 4 wheel drive for around $4500 - $5000... Spending 8 grand on a 4 wheeler is unnecessary.. Especially for a young gun like yourself..
Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I can see your point for sure. Some features are just ear appealing. What type of ground clearance is good most the lower end as far as price goes quads don't seem to have much in the way of ground clearance. I.e. 6 inches......

Like I said I'm not buying no race quad

Thanks.
Ryan
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Polaris RZR 800 EFI and never look back. I've owned a bunch of quads and still have one. But since I got the RZR I've lost the desire to ride the quad, this thing is awesome and only as wide as a sportsman 800.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL....and how much wull THAT set you back?

I bought mine as a former year model (I bought an '05 in January of '06)....and saved almost a grand on it in doing so. I also bought a color (red) and saved v. camo (I was also told it would sell better if I ever sold it.....being a color in lieu of camo).

So....I bought a Suzuki Eiger 400 Automatic 4x4. I don't use it that much (500 mi. in 3 yrs) but it's a great little rig....and all I'll ever need.

Rob/PA has the same model. Plants his food plots with it.....and as far as I know he's never had an issue, either.

You'll spend a LOT less than $8K, also. I wanna say I bought mine for $5,100????
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL....and how much wull THAT set you back?

I bought mine as a former year model (I bought an '05 in January of '06)....and saved almost a grand on it in doing so. I also bought a color (red) and saved v. camo (I was also told it would sell better if I ever sold it.....being a color in lieu of camo).

So....I bought a Suzuki Eiger 400 Automatic 4x4. I don't use it that much (500 mi. in 3 yrs) but it's a great little rig....and all I'll ever need.

Rob/PA has the same model. Plants his food plots with it.....and as far as I know he's never had an issue, either.

You'll spend a LOT less than $8K, also. I wanna say I bought mine for $5,100????
Yep. 400cc's is plenty. Smaller gets around better in the woods too. That Suzuki is nice. Buddy of mine has beaten his to death over the last severl years and it just keeps going. The Yamaha Big Bear 400 is a nice unit too and will do the job for a lot less than 8K.

Maybe even look for a good used one... Often, people buy them then hardly use them. They collect dust in the garage for a couple years then they dump them.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on your terrain and your size too. I'm kind of a big guy so prefer the 500. I love my Polaris. I plow snow with it and everything. I've heard mixed reviews about the power steering being a waste, but I would like to try it myself on rough terrain.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 AM

in 2005 i bought a left over 2004 honda rubicon 500 with a plow. The wheeler listed at $8200 and i picked it up for $6100 because it was a left over year. I love this thing. I've had it for 3 years ow, all i use it for is plowing (it does a great job) and getting in and out of my deer stands. The only thing i may have done differently, is that its all time 4X4, no 4X2 option. But Honda makes a great product and you can't go wrong with them (imo)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Arctic Cat 650H1 is more than you'll ever need for hanging stands, they're not fast (58mph on mine) but they have tons of torque. And they stopped making them in 08 if you can find one around, they are actually fairly cheap. I found a new one the other day with offroad tires and wheels for less than the price I bought mine new.... It has: push button 4X4, Lock-in/out front diff, electronic everything(gauges, buttons..etc), and 12" of ground clearance....not always a good thing when your trying to cut a donut...[&:]

Not Power Steering, Nor Fuel Injected... though they sound good and appealing, Im kind of glad I never have to worry about them tearing up.

I paid $5100 for mine also, after a trade in of my old'96 yamaha wolverine. And that was in Febuary of 2008, they were still hot. So it really depends on what kind of deal you can find, I was after a Yamaha 700 griz. But after getting offered this.... I couldnt pass it up. Just as Brandon, NChunterman, The place we got these from, if nothing else, will give you a good deal.

I guess this leaves me an awesome opportunity to plug some photos

Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM

after owning almost a dozen atv's in the past, i would say that honda is hands down the most reliable, but if your looking for a big displacement, my money would be down on the yamaha 700efi (has power steering) also quite a few of the 09 hondas are offering the power steering which is a very nice feature,but todays market in quads all seem equal, just test ride alot and get what machine you feel most comfortable on it all i can say, currently have a 99 honda foreman es 450 and it has been bullet proof since owned never had to replace anything as far as parts go

Quick Reply: quad questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.