Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who remembers Ben Lee? >

Who remembers Ben Lee?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who remembers Ben Lee?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who remembers Ben Lee?

I get to thinkin about ol' Ben Lee from time to time, and I sure do miss watching his video's. So i dida google search for him and you can't even hardly find him online. I watched him when I was a boy and really idolized him and his hunting prowess. I guess part of it was that he was from Alabama, and so he was...I guess, just one of us. I just think it's kinda sad that he's just been forgotten since his death. If I'm not mistaken, they guy that owns Code Blue was his hunting buddy back then and he took over his scent company and renamed it. Can't recall his name right now, but he once missed 17 straight deer with his bow and when he finally stuck one, Ben gave him a little teasin' about it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who remembers Ben Lee?

Yep, being from GA we loved watching Ben shoot those big bucks. His videos showed me deer being aggressive for the very first time. I would watch one and go to the woods that weekend (I was 7 or 8) and sit with my grandfather. When the action did not happen like it did for old Ben I would get mad. I think he hunted with a young Terry Rohm if I am not mistaken.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Ben was the best. He was just someone I could relate to. He hunted the same type of land we did & he talked like we did....he was easy to relate to cuz he was a southernboy.At that time Texas was the greatest thing going in deer hunting and those deer just don't act like ours. He made mature bucks do thing in Alabama, that I didn't know they could do. He made them lose thier minds! And I think he did do some hunting with Terry Rohm, but the guy I'm thinkng about was named Don Bell I believe.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I loved him but more for his turkey calling tapes. Many decades ago when I first started hunting turkeys, I guess it was middle to late 70s, I'd travel around in the car with the cassette player listening to his tapes and then trying to duplicate his sounds. He had a way of just getting across his points, like how well a turkey can pin point you. I think his favorite was "dig a hole, climb down in it and make some sexey clucks. Old Tom will come over and look in your hole". He was the guide for Greg Lamond(they cyclist) when Greg was shot while turkey hunting. It almost ended his racing... 2 year rehab and all that.

Do your search for Ben Rodgers Lee and you'll get more hits I think. Here's some stuff. You can still buy some videos and CDs and his lessons. Not overly priced either.
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS284 &q=ben+rodgers+lee&btnG=Google+Search
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the link. I remember when I was in high school and someone had told me that he had gotten killed in a car wreck. I was a sad day. I was told that his truck had him pinned in, and it caught on fire. The fire & rescue was trying to get him out, but the fire caused a case of shotgun shells to start discharging and so they had to retreat. What a terrible way to go.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Spike

The man was a pioneer in the turkey woods. I read about him, Dave Harbour, and Dwain Bland when NOBODY was much in to hunting turkeys. They were so few turkeysin WV where I was raised that a good day was hearing one gobble. Those old timers were true sportsmen.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I still have a couple cassettes of his turkey instruction calling if I didn't loose them or misplace them in the move. He would tell you about a call, then make it a couple times. Then he'd do it and leave a blank space in the tape while you tried to duplicate his call. He'd give you ample time to try it a couple times, then he'd go on to the next. His instructions were like a senerio in the morning woods. He talked about rousting them, where they liked to roust in what weather. He'd start with a soft tree call to arouse a bird and then a fly down cackle at first good light. Clucks and yelps and scratching the leaves with a stick or your hand or an old wing. He'd talk you through the different bird responses untilyou got to shooting the bird.Just a fine tradition passed on by one of the best.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of Ole Ben Lee's videos on VHS. He was something else. In it he kills a giant and then turns around and takes a cow horn spike as he called it.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else hang rehydrated tarsals in a tree? Thank you ben lee!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

The rehydrated tarsal gland was the one thing that stuck with me throughout the years. He just blew my mind with that. I'm glad to see that there are others out that have great memories of Ben. He was one of the great ones. A style, all his own.