Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who makes their own jerky? >

who makes their own jerky?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who makes their own jerky?

Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default who makes their own jerky?

I was thinking about trying this but I dont want to ruin a bunch of meat. How hard is it? How long does it take? etc?

the butched charged me $24 and I only got 2 pounds back so i thought if I could get one of those guns and use my ground up deer meat I would be able to make a bunch of it for a little bit of nothing.

anyone?

rick
Old 11-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: who makes their own jerky?

It's super easy to do. Just ground up your meat, add seasoning, put it through the jerky gun, and I just put it in the oven.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I don't, but my wife does. She uses one of those jerky guns with ground venison. Seems pretty easy.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thehairlessone!

I was thinking about trying this but I dont want to ruin a bunch of meat. How hard is it? How long does it take? etc?

the butched charged me $24 and I only got 2 pounds back so i thought if I could get one of those guns and use my ground up deer meat I would be able to make a bunch of it for a little bit of nothing.

anyone?

rick
Rick,
It's easy as anything, and will probably taste WAY better. I use a Jerky Cannon, and a dehydrator, and I mix 1/4c Worcestershire, 1/4cup soy sauce or Teriaki (you choose), 1/2 TBSP of seasoned salt, 2TBP brown sugar, 2 TBSP Liquid Smoke, 1/2tsp onion powder &garlic powder, 1/2 - 1tsp of pepper, and 1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper if you really like KICK!!! I use the "stick" nozzle because it helps the meat retain it's moisture just a touch better. I don't use any "cure" as the salt content alone CURES the jerky. Mix it up in a heavy duty freezer bag, and let it marinate in the fridge for a few days and use. I've NEVER had a batch not get completely eaten in about 18yrs of making it. And my 2 and 4yr old LOVE IT!!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do........ it really is quite easy but a lil time consuming if done in large amounts!! I like to do mine in the oven rather then the dehydrator, I like it a lil more chewy then tough!!!

I use Hi-Mountain seasonings, with my favorite being cracked pepper and garlic!! I buy the kit below and it comes wiht everything you need to do plenty of meat and isnt too awful expensive either. I think I usually get it for around $5.... I think I have $30 in a big jerky shooter and two-three oven jerky racks!!! Google Hi-Mountain jerky!!

OK I CANT get it to upload a pic but just check out there website and they have tons of mixes and stuff!! I have made up my own mix with sauces, seasonings, etc... but find the Hi- Mountian seaosnings much easier and better! If you feel the need you can also add your own special mixes to these kits.Gd Luck!!

[/align]
Old 11-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Its way to easy to make to pay those prices. I have been making it for years. I use my smoker to make mine.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys! i think I will give it a try next time.

I could get way more and save me a fortune at the same time.

rick
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its very easy, you can even do it with an oven, you dont need a dehydrator. I love to make a marinade with worcester sauce, garlic salt, onion salt, pepper, and salt..Let it soak the strips overnight

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Question....

I can regulate about 200-220deg. in my cooker. Is that too high?

Second.....How do you store it after its ready?

Third.....How long would I cook it at 200-220deg?

Thanks! I may have found a way to extend my season!

Quick Reply: who makes their own jerky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.