Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3) >

Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mercy Killing.....would you????

niehenke, good man. I can't imagine the pain either. I hope your reward with come next year.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes, ya just gotta do it...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

you did do the right thing . If anyone tells you anydifferent theyare not a true hunter.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Legal or not you did the right thing.no need in letting him suffer
Old 12-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

You deffinatly did the right thing. From the sound of he wouldnt of made it through the winter
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing. I would have done the same thing in your situation.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr
I ranged him at 38yds, and put my 40pin on his heart, and stuck him to the ground. I really thought about not shooting him, but he just didn't look like he was gonna get out of the woods.

I think the meat should be ok, except for about 1/3 of a backstrap the BH destroyed on the entry. But when you're 45' or so above something shooting 38yds, something's gotta give picking that spot.
I'm not saying anything negative here but this picture doesn't look like you were 45 feet in the tree. And even if you were, why were you? Good Lord!!! I have to ask too... If you were aiming for the heart but managed to destroy part of the backstrap, where did you actually hit him internally then?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing, not trying to be a prick, and if I am one without the intention, please forgive me but...

It surprises me a bit that you being a nurse would ask this "would you" question. Perhaps in your head it was rhetorical at the time you posed it? I said this before on a similar thread but that question is the same as asking if it was the right thing to do to throw a life line to a drowning man.

You did the right thing Doug, you kow that. Good on ya.I had to put a BB down myself this year if anyone remembers my missing jaw BB thread. I almost wanna post the pics but I think it's too graphic.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

I would have no regret of putting a deer out of its misery, tag or not. I think in situations like that the ethical concern about putting a wounded animal out of its misery overrides the legal concern of possibly taking a deer you don't have a tag for. Assuming the meat was ok to eat I would take the meat too instead of letting it go to waste.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You absolutely did the right thing. I shot a BB with a shattered leg and bad road rash on his hind quarters this year. I think its the right thing to do if the animal is in obvious distress that you know it will most likely die from.

Shane

Quick Reply: Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.