Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 AM

Default RE: Are we prejudice ? Is there something we're overlooking ?

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Doin' my part to squash elitism.

That's what I'm talking about!!.... I'm going to use this during the second gun season here in Illinois. Gasp! It even has a scope....What a mouth breathing cretin I must be! Oh the humanity!

Hey BigJ...All I want to know is what kind of holster is that? I really need one for my scoped Performance Center Smith.

BTW...That Blackhawk Hunter is sweet.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

After reading this whole thread ...some thoughts from the Preacher:

1. Some, but not all bowhunters, are elitists, It seems to be most of the guys who are "Compound Only"....and they NEVER seem to be the traditional guys .... you know, the guys that shootlongbows and recurves; the ones that really could stick their nose up in the air due to the fact that it really does take a long time to master that type of hunting.

2. Gun hunting is not to me what it is to others ...and that is OK!!!! I have shot dozens of deer with a gun and have NEVER shot a deer past 75 yards ..... I don't hunt spots that allow for those kind of shots ... the buck I killed last Saturday was 20 yards away ... the doe I shot the Saturday before that was about 65 yards away .....no bullet slinging from this guy, nor MOST of the hunters I know ....

3. Some guys elevate deer hunting to some mystical, animal worship, blah blah blah .... .you guys scare me .... it's an animal ...not a god....we don't shoot this kind, we don't use that weapon, we must do it this way, we can't do it that way .....wow! We shouldn't hunt this, we should only hunt that...... get a life ...do things the way you want to and keep your MOUTHSSHUT if you can't say anything positive about the way someone else hunts......... some of us have to high an opinion of our own opinion

4. GMATT made a statement that I liked when he said "Under my terms" ... I like that ....you can gun hunt EXACTLY like you bow hunt ,,,, for those that have NEVER tried gun hunting, give it a try!!! I like shooting deer with my gun JUST AS MUCH as I like shooting them with my bow....keep your ranges at bow ranges ....take only shots you would with a bow ...see if you don't get just as pumped ....gun hunt "under your terms" ......

5. Why are you reading this instead of hunting anyway?[8D]
Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very good PreacherTony!

I would be hunting but im done for the season
Derek
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

MAttp/a, that is awesome. im good to hit anything past about twenty yds with a pistol. Even the broadside of a barn would be a feat for me lol! im way better off with the bow than pistol[:-]
Derek
Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I'm going to use this during the second gun season here in Illinois. Gasp! It even has a scope....What a mouth breathing cretin I must be! Oh the humanity!

Hey BigJ...All I want to know is what kind of holster is that? I really need one for my scoped Performance Center Smith.

BTW...That Blackhawk Hunter is sweet.
It's a "Hunter" sling holster model 68-200-5. I wanted something leather (not a big fan of those big nylon holsters) but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for it either, it's not a show piece it's a hunting holster! So I did a little research and came up with this one. It's comfortable enough to wear all daybut probably not as comfortable assome of the higher priced ones. It's also adjustable to pretty much any scope. The flap that covers it is adjustable by those two straps. It will fit scopes mounted over the barrel (like my Ruger) or over the frame (set further back), it's very versatile. I got it for under $100.00 ata local gun store. Here is a link to the Hunter web site. It lists for $131.00 and well worth it for even that amount but you can find them cheaper than that.

http://www.huntercompany.com/hunter.html

Edit: Since this picture was taken, I've added a six loop shell holder, I positioned it so it sits on the strap just above the gunhandle.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

MS has a firearm season that spans all phases of the rut. The median rut is around December 15. Firearm season runs from the 3rd week in November through the 2nd week in January. There never has been and never will be a bow only rut.
Double Creek,
There's nothing I'd rather see more than a bow only season from Dec 1st thru Dec 15th. I don't think you could wipe the smile off my face.
Chris
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your "better than thou" attitude you so proudly trumpet is what's ruining the sport of hunting and further dividing gun and bow hunters....congratulations.
Got rained out this a.m. and checked the board and saw this. BigJ can you please explain how my opinion (which is held privately 99.98% of the time) is ruining hunting? I mean REALLY are you kidding me? That has to be one of the 5 stupidest comments I've ever seen made on HNI. I hope you realize that put's you in pretty elite company[:'(]

Perhaps the reason why you can't "wrap your head around it" is because it's filled with your self proclaimed elititism...ever think of that?? This takes the cake, now you're calling to question someones passion for hunting a specific animal arbitrarily by the type of weapon the choose to use....Ridiculous....simply ridiculous.
Lol, if that's what you took out of it you really aren't that bright. I would explain again, but honestly after explaining this many times and you not getting it, I don't see the point......[&:]
Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Your "better than thou" attitude you so proudly trumpet is what's ruining the sport of hunting and further dividing gun and bow hunters....congratulations.
Got rained out this a.m. and checked the board and saw this. BigJ can you please explain how my opinion (which is held privately 99.98% of the time) is ruining hunting? I mean REALLY are you kidding me? That has to be one of the 5 stupidest comments I've ever seen made on HNI. I hope you realize that put's you in pretty elite company[:'(]
Even opinions have ramifications when they are posted on one of the largest HUNTING web sites in the world. For you to think your better than thou attitude toward gun hunters doesn't add to the divide that already exists between the two factions then YOU need to rethink what you're doing. If youhave an opinion that will cause a further divide and thus help RUIN hunting, because make no mistake about it...it will do nothing BUT hurt it, please keep it to your frickin self, or at least save it for when you're around your bow hunting elitist buddies so you can stroke each others egos at the local Pro Shop.

Perhaps the reason why you can't "wrap your head around it" is because it's filled with your self proclaimed elititism...ever think of that?? This takes the cake, now you're calling to question someones passion for hunting a specific animal arbitrarily by the type of weapon the choose to use....Ridiculous....simply ridiculous.
Lol, if that's what you took out of it you really aren't that bright. I would explain again, but honestly after explaining this many times and you not getting it, I don't see the point......[&:]
[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly what I "took" out of it because that's exactly what you meant....Your words, not mine.....

I am looking down on those that hunt with gun only because I honestly don't understand how someone that loves to hunt as much as me could set out that much of the season.
So the God almighty bow hunter can't for the life of him understand why some mouth breathing gun hunter would skip so much of the hunting season because they won't bow hunt and thus call into question their love for hunting as being less than his.....How bout this Einstine....Maybe, just maybe, they don't fricking like bows??? Ever think of that??? Perhaps they are perfectly happy with firearms because THAT'S what they ENJOY!!!! After all, this is a pastime, a RECREATION!! Why would someone hunt with a bow if they don't enjoy it???

And you say I'm the slow one??
Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't read all of the replies, but some of you guys don't know how lucky you have it. Here in SC our gun season opens in some parts of the state on August 15th and runs to Jan. 1st. We don't have a true archery season and there are only a very few tracts of public land that have archery seasons.

Come to SC and bow hunt. I promise you it will show you what your hunting skills are made of.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 AM

First of all this is my first post here. I have been lurking without an account for some time now, and have had an account but not posted for a while also. Finally a post caught my eye where I thought I could add to the forum.

With that said I just want to say that this is a great place for ALL hunters to learn and better prepare themselves for the hunt ahead. And I am also known to get gun tags and hunt a day or two of gun season.

Here in Illinois I feel shotgun hunters ruin everything us bowhunters have strived for the past month and a half of bow season (not to mention pre-season scouting)before shotgun season rolls along. However, let me FIRMLY state that I feel gun hunters play an important role in herd reduction and healthiness.

I also believe that it is the gunhunters who are predjudice. Actually I do not believe that. I believe that gun hunters are disrespectful. In my neck of the woods gun hunters do WHAT they want WHEN they want to.[:'(]The last day ofthe last gun season they do whatever they can where ever theycanget away with it to get the deer out of thier bedding/hiding areas.I think this is what leads to the predjudice/eliteism that people think bowhunters have for gun hunters. I also believe bowhunters treat gun hunters badly because of thier preference to only hunt 7 days of the year.

I guess my only point here is that if everyone in my woods respected everyone else in the woods then there would be no problem.