Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Are we prejudice ? Is there something we're overlooking ?

2006 Data. Unfortunately, deer are lumped in with "big game" so the numbers are not broken out. But the point stands - archery equipment sales for big game huntingare not even close to firearm equipmentsales for big game hunting. The economic impact of bowhunting is not even close to the economic impact of firearm hunting.

Sales of ammunition for firearm hunting were almost HALF of ALL bow, arrow, and archery equipment sales LMAO.

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/NationalSurvey/nat_survey2006_final.pdf

Old 11-26-2008, 02:00 PM

I will fight to the end to protect bowhunting. All I am trying to do is point out that bowhunting isa weaker link than firearm hunting.It has less participants, it has less economic impact, and it has less impact on managing the deer herd.

With that said,why in the HE** would any bowhunter want to take elitist positions alienatinghimself or herselffromfirearm hunters??? Bowhunting would be thefirst to go. You can take that to the bank.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your entitled to your opinion but be aware that your way of thinking, looking down ongun hunters strictly because they CHOOSE to gun huntwill forever divide hunters and is exactly what I'm talking about.
First of all, I am not looking down on gun hunters, I am looking down on those that hunt with gun only because I honestly don't understand how someone that loves to hunt as much as me could set out that much of the season. Second of all, I am not out pushing for the end of gun season or trying to limit ANYONES right to hunt in anyway. I am merely pointing out my opinion in a thread in which it was asked. I am not trying to divide hunters or limit their seasons yadda yadda yadda. I am merely expressing my opinion. Which is essentially I think gun season sucks and if you were a real hunter, you would be out there in the bowseason........flame away
Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cruise J.D.

ORIGINAL: Dopler

ORIGINAL: Cruise J.D.

Bow hunting is big business, don't kid yourself for a minute that states are doing us a favor by allowing a bow season, states get tons of cash from tag sales and equipment taxes for archery gear.A guy buys a rifle and a set of blazehe keeps it for15 years, guystrade bows like underwear as the equipment is constantly evolving. I've owned aRemmingtondeer rifle for 25 years now and I've owned over 20 bows inmy life, do the math.
2001 Data - Deer Hunting
http://www.fishwildlife.org/pdfs/Hunting_Economic_Impact.pdf
[align=left]Bows, arrows & archery equipment $334,113,948[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Rifles $493,054,228[/align][align=left]Shotguns $121,351,243[/align][align=left]Muzzleloaders & other primitive firearms $75,702,787[/align][align=left]Handguns $81,800,768[/align][align=left]Telescopic sights $179,189,675[/align][align=left]Ammunition $228,796,083[/align][align=left]Hand loading equipment & components $60,765,491[/align][align=left]TOTAL: $1,240,660,275[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]The math says you are wrong. Any other questions?[/align]
First of all, you included data from hand guns sales, target shooters, law enforcement sales, bird hunters so you areobviously are missing the point or perhaps can't grasp basicconcepts in general?
Sorry, you are wrong again. Go look at the link. Those are expenditure numbers for DEER HUNTING. They are in a chart on page 7 of the report, second column.Archery expenditures for deer huntingdo not even come close to expenditures for firearm deerhunting.
First of all, I keep saying that I'm not disputing that there are many more gun hunters and that gross spending from them is greater than archery sales. When I see 30 redcoats walking through a marsh firing at anything that moves compared to the one bowhunter who hunted that ground before season started there is no disputing that.I was simplysaying that the average bow hunter spends more than the average gun hunter and states realize that and sates are now catering to bowhunters as it's big business.

Second of all, your numbers are wrong,they are from a federal report which tracks guns closely due to restrictions on firearmpurchases and supplies but not archery supplies, you think they are tracking Ebay bowresales like they track used firearm resales? Federal agencies don't know what they spend themselvesnevermind someone else.

I've read AMO data that suggests bow hunters spend more than 15 billion a yearwhich makes your numbers lookway off but again, I'm not saying that bowhunters spend more collectivelyso get off that, please.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Site Bouncer

First of all, I am not looking down on gun hunters, I am looking down on those that hunt with gun only because I honestly don't understand how someone that loves to hunt as much as me could set out that much of the season.
Just because someone loves to hunt doesn't mean they like bows. Again, what is wrong with a hunter who simply loves to hunt with a firearm and could give a rats arse about bows or bow hunters??

Second of all, I am not out pushing for the end of gun season or trying to limit ANYONES right to hunt in anyway.
I never said you were??? Where the hell did you get THAT from??

I am not trying to divide hunters or limit their seasons yadda yadda yadda. I am merely expressing my opinion. Which is essentially I think gun season sucks and if you were a real hunter, you would be out there in the bowseason........flame away

No need to "flame away" you are entitled to your opinion no mattered how self absorbed, elitist, destructive, detrimental, narrow minded and misinformed in may be.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

No need to "flame away" you are entitled to your opinion no mattered how self absorbed, elitist, destructive, detrimental, narrow minded and misinformed in may be.
No need to be so wishy-washy, John. [:-]
Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just because someone loves to hunt doesn't mean they like bows. Again, what is wrong with a hunter who simply loves to hunt with a firearm and could give a rats arse about bows or bow hunters??
If they loved to deer hunt as much as me they would learn to like them. It wouldn't matter what the season is. I would hunt in the rock throwing season if they had oneIt's not about liking bows it's about liking deer hunting. i don't go out in the woods to shoot my bow I go out into the woods to shoot deer[:-]

Because you're acting like I called for the extermination of gun hunters rather than rendering an opinion on gun hunting in general.

Thank you, although I am not sure how much more informed I need to be after participating in the last 20 seasons[8D]By the way I support he use of crossbows during bowseason. Do you?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Site Bouncer

If they loved to deer hunt as much as me they would learn to like them. It wouldn't matter what the season is. I would hunt in the rock throwing season if they had oneIt's not about liking bows it's about liking deer hunting. i don't go out in the woods to shoot my bow I go out into the woods to shoot deer[:-]

Just because people love to hunt deer doesn't mean they love bows! Christ, how hard it that to understand?? Some folks don't want to use a bow or throw rocks for that matter. Whatever their reasons (correct or not) they have decided to only hunt with a firearm. They do it with just as much gusto and vibrato (if not more) than you do with the bow. Just because a person makes a decision to hunt with a firearm only in NO WAY makes him lesser the hunter. Your judgment on this matter is clouded by your elitism and apparent disdain for "gun only" hunters.....shame.[]

Because you're acting like I called for the extermination of gun hunters rather than rendering an opinion on gun hunting in general.
How did I "act" like you called for the extermination of gun hunters??? Please I'd LOVE to find out where you got that information. I made no mention of it, I never implied you wanted that and furthermore I could care less if you wanted to end gun hunting or not because if indeed you did......I'd know why.

Thank you, although I am not sure how much more informed I need to be after participating in the last 20 seasons[8D]By the way I support he use of crossbows during bowseason. Do you?
Your welcome and apparently you must have slept through the last 20 seasons because during my last 20+ seasons I've paid attention to the attitudes and mind set of bow hunters. It's the part of bow hunting I detest the most. It's the "better than thou" attitude that is taken when comparing bow hunting to most any other form and you have done absolutely NOTHING to disprove my stance on the subject. In fact you have only bolstered my theory with your comments.

Yes I support crossbows during the bow season, why wouldn't I? It's just another form of a bow, it's considered archery tackle but that's another discussion for another time.

You just can't get over the fact that there are some hunters who enjoy gun hunting only and have no inclination whatsoever to pick up a bow. To belittle them and call to question their vigor for the sport of hunting because they wont hunt with a bow is indeed narrow minded and elitist.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome and apparently you must have slept through the last 20 seasons because during my last 20+ seasons I've paid attention to the attitudes and mind set of bow hunters. It's the part of bow hunting I detest the most. It's the "better than thou" attitude that is taken when comparing bow hunting to most any other form and you have done absolutely NOTHING to disprove my stance on the subject. In fact you have only bolstered my theory with your comments.
Not quite sure how one goes about proving a subjective opinionBUT I'm not sure if you noticed (maybe YOU were the one sleeping[8D])but I wasn't trying to change your opinion or disuade you from having it.I was merely pointing out to you why I have the "better than thou" attitude that I have

You just can't get over the fact that there are some hunters who enjoy gun hunting only and have no inclination whatsoever to pick up a bow. To belittle them and call to question their vigor for the sport of hunting because they wont hunt with a bow is indeed narrow minded and elitist.
You are again correct on both accounts. I can't get over why anyone would forego so much time in the woods. I can't wrap my head around it at all. Also, I do question their "vigor" if they are perfectly capable of shooting a bow and don't. BECAUSE, in my mind, if their "vigor" was half of what my "vigor" is, they would pick up a bow, sling shot, rock, club or any other type of weapon necessary to be out there participating the sport the claim to love.

Now yall have a happy thanksgiving! I am going to spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday up a tree from daylight til dark in a bow only zone[8D]
Old 11-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Bow hunters who talk negative about gun seasons do sofor one reason and one only (IMHO) selfishness. Selfishness brought on by a twisted ideology of entitlement and elitism. The term "Hunter" means nothing to them, they only understand "Bow Hunter", and any other form of hunting that impedes or diminishes their attempt to kill their deer is either looked down upon or spoken negatively of.
I talked negatively about our gun season....and the new, proposed change to extend it. I'm a bowhunter (exclusively). I'm not guilty of what you charge me with, though (OK...maybe a little).

John....we kill more bucks than does in NC....and extending the gun season (which already begins during our rut) isn't going to help this AT ALL. The gun season came in on the tail end of the rut, this year. Next year....it will encompass the ENTIRE rut (if the measures pass).

If they'd extend the gun season....and lower the buck limit (to one, even)....I'd be all for it. Earn a buck (even with 2 does)? Sure!

Why in the world.....do we not get to bowhunt any later than 12/17, here????? Can you help me with that one???? A VERY small number of cities and municipalities have urban archery seasons. But for the most part....I can't fathom why the general archery (and heck....even gun) has to end in December.

NCWRC cares about ONE thing. Herd numbers. Period. If you asked me....I think they're going about this the wrong way. Their way will work....but their way is eliminatingbig numbers of bucks.....instead of eliminating big numbers of does.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.