Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it >

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM

Default what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

If the temps are gonna get up over 40* then its a good idea to get it done a.s.a.p.

If the temps stay around the 25-30 mark....3-4 days hanging aint a worry.

Any temps over 50-60 and you better get it done that day....better safe than sorry...skin or no skin on.

Just my .02
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Depends on the weather. A couple years back I shot one in 8 degree weather. It froze into a block while hanging in the garage and stayed frozen solid for two weeks. Hence, I didn't even attempt to skin it for 14 days.

In 40 and less weather, I'll like to let them hang for five days to a week. Skin on.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 PM

I usually skin and quarter the same day, if its cold enough Ill let it hang a day or two until it is more convenient to clean.

Ive never noticed a difference in deer that hung and deer cut up immediately...it all tastes the same in the end, to me anyway.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I usually skin and quarter the same day, if its cold enough Ill let it hang a day or two until it is more convenient to clean.

Ive never noticed a difference in deer that hung and deer cut up immediately...it all tastes the same in the end, to me anyway.
That is exactly the way I feel. There are some people though who just say"yuck" when you say something like that.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's been told to me by reliable sources that the quicker you get the hide of and the quicker you cool the meat the better eating it will be. I heed that information and skin my animal the same day regardless of temps.

From what I understand, the longer the hide stays on the animal, the more gamey it will taste.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

We usually let one hang 3 to 5 days if it stays under 40. The wife has had one in the tree for 3 days now I need to process.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Generally we hang our deer in our basement, where it stays relatively cool. I'll hang and skin them the day I get them and continue to butcher them in a day or two.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It's been told to me by reliable sources that the quicker you get the hide of and the quicker you cool the meat the better eating it will be. I heed that information and skin my animal the same day regardless of temps.

From what I understand, the longer the hide stays on the animal, the more gamey it will taste.

This makes logical sense to me!!

I like to get them hung and quartered the same day and cut up and packaged within 2 days afterwards!!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could, I'd be willing to let one hang for a week. As long as the temps are below 50* for a high it would be fine. I've known people to leave them until the meat discolors, thenbutcher and cut away the discoloredsurface meat and keep the stuff under, not sure I'd go that far though.

Quick Reply: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.