Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it >

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

You didn't have an "hour" vote; so I couldn't vote. One day is too long for me. Too cold and hard to skin after a day. I do mine within hours and it goes like a dream. As procrastinators, we like to put things off, but a warm deer is an easy deer.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Its cold enough here for most of the season to let them hang for a few days, but generally if I have time I like to take care of them ASAP, regardless of temps. Just to get it out of the way...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

but a warm deer is an easy deer.
Yea, that comment will NEVER come back to haunt you...
Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

all over the place i would say 3 days i read on three differnt butcher sites that due to the low fat containt of eer meat leaving it out more then three days is pointless.
I did not plan to age any deer i killed but my neighoor did his for a day it sit in my frige for a day then two days after thawing seemed to taste alot better then the stuff i eat the day he skinned it and gave me some
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the temp.. I let one hang for 2 weeks one time when it froze solid, skint it out once it thawed.