Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it >

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

may be an option. Have it think about that and check on getting the needed equipment.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

"Equipment"? ALL you need is a knife and a hacksaw!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

What about a meat grinder and other gear?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I thought you were talking about quartering your deer and putting it into a cooler (thereby negating the need to worry about it hanging for long periods of time).

Self-processing takes time and equipment. I've done it.....but don't anymore.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

My bad. I was rolling from Preacher Tony asking why I took it to the butcher.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

You that take your deer to a butcher .... are you even sure you are getting all your deer ....... heck, are you even sure you are getting YOUR deer at all?

I would advise you guys to butcher your own deer, if at all possible ....
Ok, don't take this out on me but heres what you DON'T get back from some "butchers" that only seem to pop up during deer season:

2-7lbs. of hamberger - if made

most of the meat from the lower legs we call chop / stew meat

Have you ever gotten a neck roast??...probably not -

Do you get your ribs?? - probably not....and they are excellent table fare

Watch to see how big the backstraps are...90% of the time about 1/4 - 1/3 are taken.

Ever wonder how if you process say a 150lbs. deer you get about 40-50+lbs. of meat yet if you take it in, it goes down to 30 or so??

Now you know.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I skin asap!! Get the heat out and let the meat cool. After the meat has cooled, you can let it hang for several days if the temps are cool enough, heck, last year we ate 3 meals off my bow kill buck in Dec. while it hung in the garage! I butcher myself, to make sure all the hair is off and I get the cleanest meat possible.

I've got some buddies that hang their deer in the trees for up to 4 days no matter what the temps. I used to help them butcher but no more. After smelling what that meat smells like, it turns my stomach! When the hide is green, it's been on too long, IMO!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've done them the same day, I've done them hanging up to a week, and everything in between. I could never tell the difference in the quality of the meat. I'll butcher the deer when I have enough time to. I'll usually skin and quarter one day and trim and package another day. One thing I always do is leave the hide on untill I can get to quartering it at least. I don't like the thought of the meat hanging there with dust, bugs, air (drying out) etc... getting at it. The hide protects the meat IMO. Never noticed a gamey taste by leaving it on.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only long enough to get a knife on it, usually right away.I don't believe in the hanging for days to break down the muscle and whatnot.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't vote becuase it all depends on conditions. I will wait up to 7 days or so if the weather is cold and there is no chance of spoilage. Temps 40 and under. If it's hot say above 55 then I will skin and quarter it right away.

Quick Reply: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.