Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it >

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

If its cool outside we'll let them hang 3-7 days
Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

skin the deer asap.. i dont like to wait to skin it as it makes it to hard to get the hide off.. when its still warm it jus peels right off.. after the hides off an i clean the deer up i like to let it hang at least a day if the temps permit.. i find it easier to cut up when its been hangin for a while ... when its warm out an i quater up the day i kill it its more "slimy" harder to handle an cut...when its been hung up it doesnt have the "slimy" effect
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

My brothers kids shot a couple at the opening of our gun season (gun season opens on Nov 15th they shot them on the 16th) and they are still hanging in my moms barn. He plans to cut and skin them up Thursday for an 11 day total hang time.

He does this every year as long as the weather doesn't get over 50 degrees. He lives out of town and takes a week off for gun season, whatever they get he drops off and heads home. When he comes back into town for Thanksgiving he butchers them after dinner.

I personally get mine done in 1-4 days depending on the weather.

Chris
Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

with temps that fluctuate, from 40 to below freezing, you are better to leave the hide on while hanging ........ we always do and I have people that won't eat venison, tell me how good mine is ,,,,,
Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

with temps that fluctuate, from 40 to below freezing, you are better to leave the hide on while hanging ........ we always do and I have people that won't eat venison, tell me how good mine is ,,,,,
I agree with Tony, I let my buck from last year hang for 12 days with the hide on in 40 degree to 20 degree weather. The longer you let them hang the better they are going to taste. You should never butcher your deer to quickly, let them hang so the enzymes can break down the muscle tissue! I have one in the garage hanging now for a week, I'll get to him this weekend!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't butcher my own, but a few years ago I took one to a butcher. I took it in on a Saturday afternoon and that Sunday evening he called and said I could come pick it up. That meat was the worst that I ever had. The roasts where extremely game, to the point that my wife couldn't even stand the smell. Now if its cold enough, I will ask the new butcher to leave it hang for a little. If he does it with hide on or off, I don't know. Since doing this, the meat has been excellent.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You that take your deer to a butcher .... are you even sure you are getting all your deer ....... heck, are you even sure you are getting YOUR deer at all?

I would advise you guys to butcher your own deer, if at all possible ....
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I've got one that's been in a cooler (quartered) since Saturday night. I won't process it for another few days. My temp is a little more regulated (doesn't freeze/thaw), but I wouldn't be afraid to leave it a week in the right temps.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Not really possible. I can't do it outside due to the fact that I don't have a shed or anything to hang it from, my neighbor ask that I would do it(personal that I didn't want to get into) and I can't do it in the garage. (Wife would have to park outside and thats the last thing that I want to hear about until its taken care of. I personally know the butcher, and offer him a few pounds from it.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Can't you quarter it, yourself....and put the meat in a cooler?

Quick Reply: what is the longest you would wait to skin a deer and get the meat off it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.