Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 They are not behind every tree >

They are not behind every tree

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

They are not behind every tree

Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: They are not behind every tree

Some people are really something Jim!! You were kind enough to do what you did and yet the prick still Isn't happy. The hell with the guy!!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best part of this is, he MISSED a really good buck on Friday morning. I did not see the buck myself, but he told me it was between 130"-140" as an 8. That is pretty damn good deer if you ask me. When he left out Sunday morning, he told me that he was thinking of Iowa or Kansas for next year. Good luck if you run into him guys!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM

This is even more obsurd now you given the rest of the story.

I'm putting in for an archery tag next year, If you have any excess land let me know.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

He has seen more deer on stand then I have then. He shouldn't be so picky!!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

When he left out Sunday morning, he told me that he was thinking of Iowa or Kansas for next year. Good luck if you run into him guys
that is classic

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You mean not everyone in Illinois, Iowa or Wisconsin shoots a huge, monster of a buck every year? From reading the boards on a Minnesota-specific site (sorry, I'm a cheater I know), if only Minnesota would be like those states in terms of its DNR-imposed management strategies, every one of us would slay a bigun each year on opening day. And we'd all hold hands and tiptoe through the tulips. Big bucks require work, no matter where you're at.

I see guys all around me locally griping there are no big bucks. Then I pick up my Outdoor News each week and see picture after picture of guys - and gals in Minnesota holding up 150-180 class bucks with a bow slung across them. They are out there. They are just indeed not behind every tree.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

kicken a very good thread IMO.

This year is my 10th year bowhunting and 9th year shotgun hunting. All of them have been spent in Illinois. While I am not denying the fact that Illinois is a trophy area, it is by no means a "gaurantee" to kill a giant. In those 10 years of bowhunting I have had cracks at some P&Y's and 1 B&C. Meanwhile, if you go take a look at my mounts in the basement you will see ZERO record book deer. They are in the area, but seeing them, getting them in range, and then making a good shot is a whole different thing.

My family owns 365 acres in Jersey County, which is considered to be in the trophy area. We have taken some big deer off this land with a shotgun while the deer are running wild. My cousin killed one that went around 205 and my uncle killed one in the low 170's. There are also a few 130's-160's thrown in there, but that is during the shotgun seasons, and over the course of MANY MANY MANY years of being hunted (30 years or so). We have NEVER killed a P&Y buck off our land. I had the chance to this year, but I blew it and so far have been unable to recover the buck.

So yes, big deer do live here, and yes many of them are killed throughout the state, but not by a loooooonnnnngggg shot is it easy hunting. Some mega managed lands are going to have outstanding hunting, and this is often the types of land that you see on T.V. and the types that out of staters go to when they travel to our state.

If there is a big buck hiding behind every tree in our state, then I must be blind.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If there is a big buck hiding behind every tree in our state, then I must be blind.
No No you are not blind...look at what you said...they are hiding!! haha
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM

They are not behind every tree, but the rut in Illinois is phemonimal. I've spent 4 years in 3 different counties and its been good in all three. If you expect to kill a 150, wake up! Sure, it could happen, but odds are not with you. Now, if you only want a 110-120, you have a very good chance at that. For most places in the country, that is a very good bow buck!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cougar,I 100% agree with you on this one The OBR ( i know it dosent agree with some) but i have seen a hugh difference in my are with it. If we would shorten our gun season we would be a killer state. Just to give you an idea of my year in Indiana even after last years EHD. I have been close to a 160 a 130 and two 120-130 bucks this season but couldnt make it happen I have seen a TON of bucks and handed out passes like crazy this season waiting on a big one. Im not complaining
ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

your right, the guy was expecting something that is not a guarentee anywhere. I know they are not everywhere behing every tree but i also know Illinois potential, and work right on the river on the Indiana side across from Ill. So i work with alot of Ill hunters. I can say this though, i see the pics EVERY YEAR of the deer these guys kill and it is mind blowing. I have one co worker who kills 1 if not 2 p@y bucks every year in Illinois, last year he killed a 160" and a 150" five minutes apart via bow. a big part of Illinois sucess IMO is the short fire arm seasons they have. I talked with another Illinois co worker today, he has not shot a buck but has had three encounters with a 170+ eight point and has been turning down 130" bucks on a regular basis. dont get me wrong, im not siding against you, i know how hunting is Like i said it is never guaranteed. But Illinois is in my book, a top end state And im jelious you live there and i dont
bloodcrick, don't deny it but the Hoosier state is becoming a top end state as well. One buck limit a year should help a lot. And though I don't personally know any of the land around Evansville and a little farther north, the Wabash/Ohio river bottom grounds should be dynamite! This coming from an ex-Hoosier now living in Illinois.

Quick Reply: They are not behind every tree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.