Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Okay Mature Buck Hunters, what do you do with this one? >

Okay Mature Buck Hunters, what do you do with this one?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay Mature Buck Hunters, what do you do with this one?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Okay Mature Buck Hunters, what do you do with this one?

While harvesting a mature deer (buck or doe) is my priority, I also hunt for deer I would mount. Since I would not mount that particularbuck I would not shoot him...He is just to busted up. Duckmichaels deer this year is a beautiful example of an old warrior who has been busted up in battle and would tell astory on the wall. For "ME" this buck would not do that.Since he looks old I would however be elated if you (anyone) shot him.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am after a deer that is at least 4.5 yrs old with 6 on one side and 2 (maybe 3 stickers) and a 12 to 15 inch main beam on the other, and also has only 3 legs, so yeah, I would take him.(Not Kiddin')

LT
Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot one for his rack and could care less about age. I won't shoot a busted rack deer because he might still be around next year and carry a full rack.

I always shoot for a P&Y. I may not always get it, but that is always my goal.

I don't get caught up in Trophy hunting but I do dedicate times to nothing but trophies. Filling the freezer can be some some of the best times in the woods with a bow. I enjoy killing'em and it's great practice to put down live animals.

Dan
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot a younger one with a more desirable rack. To each his own. I am sure everyone has their reasons for their opinions. Iwill shoot the one with the biggest rack regardless of age unless I am hunting somewhere with very specific guidelines regarding age and then I am still hunting for one tha't old enough but has the biggest rack. SO let's flip this scenario (forgive me if this has been suggested-I am jumping in at the end).

If you had 2 bucks standing there broadside at 20 yards. Identical shots on both deer. 1 of the deer is a 5.5 year old 150 class deer and the other is a 5.5 year old 170 class deer. Which one are you going to shoot? Why?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I would shoot a younger one with a more desirable rack. To each his own. I am sure everyone has their reasons for their opinions. Iwill shoot the one with the biggest rack regardless of age unless I am hunting somewhere with very specific guidelines regarding age and then I am still hunting for one tha't old enough but has the biggest rack. SO let's flip this scenario (forgive me if this has been suggested-I am jumping in at the end).

If you had 2 bucks standing there broadside at 20 yards. Identical shots on both deer. 1 of the deer is a 5.5 year old 150 class deer and the other is a 5.5 year old 170 class deer. Which one are you going to shoot? Why?
Go even a little further. Assuming you knew or could tell the difference.
One Buck standing there 5.5 year old 150 class
&
One Buck standing there 4.5 year old 170 class

I think I know which I'd shoot![8D]

Dan
Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Which is the greater "accomplishment" as a hunter? Why is the larger rack a greater "trophy"?

So you kill a less intelligent deer......and he's a greater trophy? What if the buck was a freak 1.5 yr old at 130"? Shoot him over a 100" 4.5 yr old? And he'd be a bigger accomplishment?

I just don't get that mindset. I don't begrudge you guys who hunt horns, only.....but I just don't understand the mindset.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

With no disrespect to my friend Jeff, I will shoot the dumb ass deer every time. If a fawn has a 170 rack I'm shooting it.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would pass on both during bow season and crack the first one that made the mistake during gun season. To me I think a bow harvest is special and save those moments only for the one I love.........deer that is! If I still have my tags, which I am lucky not to this year, I go with the if its brown its down mentallity during gun season.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

With no disrespect to my friend Jeff, I will shoot the dumb ass deer every time. If a fawn has a 170 rack I'm shooting it.
LMAO!!

Who says the old Deer isn't Senile![8D]

Dan
Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Chris....seriously....I'm assuming it's strictly about the size of the rack? Nothing wrong with that.....just wondering. I understand the two (age structure and rack size) usually go hand in hand. But it makes for good conversation.

What makesYOUR "trophy"? Rack size, alone? There's no cut-off? You'd take the 150/3.5 over a 140/7.5?

Not saying you're worng. You're more than likely in the majority.

Quick Reply: Okay Mature Buck Hunters, what do you do with this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.