Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Close Encounter on November 22 >

Close Encounter on November 22

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close Encounter on November 22

Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Close Encounter on November 22

So, I saw my first shooter buck on Saturday, I figure he was a 155-160 class 9 point, over 20 inches inside spread, lots of mass.I saw thisbuck coming in at 7:30 a.m. across a bean field. He was trolling and came out into the field to check the breeding status of afeeding doe. After he checked the doe he moved into a bedding area adjacent to the field, I tried grunting at him but it was bed time and he continued to move, I saw him bed down 5 yards or so inside of the bedding area and I lost sight of him. I sat in my stand all day to wait for him, hoping he'd come back out, didn't eat breakfast and no food or water and it was 19 degrees outwhen I went in that morningand I don't think it got above freezing all day.I was pretty darn cold as I had not dressed for an entire day out but I wasn't going to leave the stand with this giant within 80 yards of my stand. At 4:00 p.m. a 2 year old buck came out into the beans to chase a doe. At 4:10 p.m., here comes the big boy. I ranged him at 69 yard when I took this picture (sorry for the poor quality picture, it was overcast and alreadylosing light).I thenpicked up my bow and watchedhim feed fora fewminutes until a doe passed right under my stand and went outinto the beans. When the buck saw the doe, he started heading my way. The doe was 15yards in front of me now feeding in thebeans. The buck got to 35 yards and I drew on him, I've got the pin hovering on his front shoulder but the angle isbad-- he's quartering towards me andstill coming. I figure when he gets to the doe he'll go broadside and I'll fire at that point. He's to the east of me and the wind is westerly so all is perfect.Just then, thedoe all of a sudden picks up her head and she bolts, the buck bolts a split second later and I look up to see trespassers driving in on the property, worst possible timing everin my bow hunting career,5 more seconds is all I needed. I was pretty steamed andthe tresspassershigh tailed out of there. I'm going to keep hunting this buck through late season, hope to get another crack at him.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Close Encounter on November 22

Ouch!!! Them SOB's!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Here's the picture of him I tookin the morning when I first saw him--this picture iseven worse than the first one but you can tell what a huge frame he has in this pic. His body is huge too but his rack is so big that it makes his body look small.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Dop.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-24-2008, 05:15 PM

I must be missing something, you have said before that you are living/hunting in Illinois. How are you able to bow hunt during firearm season? Nice buck regardless just curious on how it's possible to legally hunt firearm season with a bow?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

CL74, I was huntinga bow only county. There are several of thesebow only counties close to Chicago,bow season never closes in these counties. Ihave a small 35 acre spot therethatI try and hunt every 2 weeks or so, if I over hunt it, it burns out quickso I like to pick the wind and weather and hunt it sparsely.

Thanks MNKlyle!

I saw the best rut activity of the year on Saturday. I'd recommend guys getting out as this week too as this crazymoon phase pushed everything back a week. I think this coming weekend is still going to be a trolling weekend where some real monsters are going to be on their feet during daylight hours. I also have a strange feeling that this is going to be one of the best 2nd ruts we've seen in many years. I'm going to be in the woodsall through December this year concentrating on December 6-20.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats sucks.

Good Luck Getting Him!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Wow! I would be steamed, unfortunately that stuff happens at the best of times too[:@][&:]
Old 11-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Close Encounter on November 22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.