Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So you'll pay $2 Grand+......... >

So you'll pay $2 Grand+.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So you'll pay $2 Grand+.........

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So you'll pay $2 Grand+.........

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So you'll pay $2K+ to travel to another state ......to hunt animals that dwell in your own back yard......

......but you wouldn't consider a hunt to another continent to hunt animals you'll never SEE in your home country (probably)?

What the mindset?

I can see me doing it, one day. Hunting the same animal with the same weapon will bore the hell out of me, eventually.
For me.. someone who would rather hunt whitetail bucks in North America rather than chase other animals abroad.. it's about the dedication.

Not that the guy going to Africa doesn't have dedication.

But.. I am dedicated to improving my hunt of the whitetail buck and only the whitetail buck. To seek out and hunt the 3 yr olds.. then the 4 yr olds.. and followed by 5 yr olds and better. Quiks recent thread shows just how hard it truly is.. (sorta).

To improve to a point I am chasing only 150" animals.. then one day (hopefully) only 160" animals.. and to catch a glimpse of a 200" in the wild is truly something so few have witnessed and even fewer ever take with bow.

And all this will take my lifetime to complete. And even then it is NO given or guarantee that I have completed it at all.

I don't wish to be a "jack of all trades".. I would like to pursue master of one.

Gaining knowledge of this amazing animal.

And what better animal than the whitetail. Perhaps the most stunningly beautiful and adaptable creature on the face of the earth.

And the male of the species has a chorus of inches that are unlike any one of its kind. Each one individual as the animal who wears it.

So for me.. the choice is easy. To pursue older whitetail males on DIY hunts across the North American continent. To learn it all on his turf.

I'm so gay.[&:]

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Another of 'Jeff's finest' threads. For all practical purposes there are but 2 ways of thinking: Jeff's way, or the wrong way!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

You only get one stint on this rock. Some people try and make the most of it by hunting many different critters. Some guys make the most of it by hunting one critter over and over again. Whatever you find enjoyable, go for it. I do think that some guys sell themselves a little short on doing/trying things that they may come to find very enjoyable. The older I get, the more I experience, the more i want to go places and hunt different animals.
No finer words have been spoken.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

You only get one stint on this rock. Some people try and make the most of it by hunting many different critters. Some guys make the most of it by hunting one critter over and over again. Whatever you find enjoyable, go for it. I do think that some guys sell themselves a little short on doing/trying things that they may come to find very enjoyable. The older I get, the more I experience, the more i want to go places and hunt different animals.
I'm surprised you didn't try to one-up Rybo Dan.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I'm surprised you didn't try to one-up Rybo Dan.
Nope, I was saving that for your post!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mindset is that whitetails is what gets my blood stirring. There is nothing overseas that is worth spending the money on TO ME. Different strokes for different folks but I don't have any desire to hunt in Africa or anywhere else for that matter, at least right now. Right now, all I care about is big whitetails!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Africa is absolutely on the radar, albeit in the "someday" category. I want to hunt elsewhere in the states though first, but even that is going to happen only after i kill a big deer in IL. I know, booners behind every tree...just not the trees I have apparently! As far as what others do, fine by me. There are a few things in the US I want to hunt, moose being #1, but I guess I don't have an oder to my pursuits, kind of whichever comes first.

You can do a safari for less than a guided elk hunt these days...ya for the USA...
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I am fortunate enough, for almost 10 years running, to be able to take off the middle of oct. thru dec. I hunt almost everyday during that time wether its am, pm, or both. Only with the bow, as I've never harvested a deer with a gun. I've got it bad, the fever that is. I have absolutely no desire though to hunt anything else, except elk. On top of the sickness Ihave,I would much rather give my hard earned cash to americans in america rather than send it overseas. So yeah, as soon as I am able to financially, I will be taking one of the six weeks or so that I have off, and heading somewhere to the land of giants with a fist full of hundreds and a dream.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

I pay Kansas $400 every year to go there and hunt ... and I wouldn't go if I didn't have good people who let me stay with them and farmers who let me hunt their land.

I'd never pay $2000 - ever. $2,000 is indicative of people who hunt outfitted and guided/leased lands and I just have a very hard time justifying that.

Western states have tens of millions of acres of public grounds - and yes, tags are high to hunt there but I can DIY elk hunt for $800 or so, DIY mule deer and antelope for $600 .... blue collar American hunting will die when its $2,000 minimum

Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gotta tell you something to consider though. I own land that is primarily used for hunting. I literally pay thousands in taxes for it. I also have other tracts that I have permission to hunt. Many times I think to myself that I could take two of these $2,000 trips per year that we are speaking of in prime whitetail land which would include lodging and meals. Or I could get a prime lease inmy area and keep it for myself and have some $$$ left over.

Granted, I could sell itand get most of my taxes back. But for the person that can not afford the price of the land up front and then maintain taxes.....

Quick Reply: So you'll pay $2 Grand+.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.