Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your batting average? >

What's your batting average?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your batting average?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's your batting average?

(obviously because your ratio by these rules don't look good to you)
It's doesn't look good to you

(Sorry, I couldn't resist after the one quote above that I saw you use.......so I had to throw a 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct)

And I'm not even sure grammerically is an actual word.........I generally use grammatically.

Oh and for this season I'm 5 for 5.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 for 4, I did spine my buck and had to put another arrowin him. 2 does were one shot kills.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

(obviously because your ratio by these rules don't look good to you)
It's doesn't look good to you
Turnabout is fairplay. Yes, guilty as charged! Grammatical error duely noted. "Grammerically" though,was followed by (pun intentional).
Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Grammatical error duely noted.
"Duly", even.

And I think Mobo understood exactly what I was saying. I wasn't the only one.

So I should count the 4 shots I took at a deer I didn't initially shoot to try to harvest against my BA? The initial shot was fired by the hunter who tried to take the deer.....and he spined him. He was blocked for a follow-up....and I wasn't.....so I took the follow-ups. No regrets.

OK....I'll play (with that in mind). I've taken 10 shots at deer this year.....and I've brought home 4 deer.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Spike

This year I'm 1/1.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

OK....I'll play (with that in mind). I've taken 10 shots at deer this year.....and I've brought home 4 deer.
See how easy that was? I'm glad you decided to quit being so uptight about things. Again, not poking fun. Just calling it like I see it.

Just so you don't think this is some sort of attempt to showcase anyone or anything. (It doesn't even stick in my head who's had the best and worst BA btw) Last year I was horrible bymy standard. I probably let6 fly and only had 3 deer to show for it. 2 were misses, one was in haste resulting in the dreaded. I am proud to have learned from that. But see, none of this was intended to even be discussed. It justcame to be because of well, you.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

If someone said they had 10 shots and brought home 4 deer.....with no explanation....I wouldn't fully understand their season (to date).

When you formulate a method of computing a BA.....and penalize the hunter for doing the ethical thing (that EVERY hunter should do)....you're sending the wrong message IMO. You're also asking for inaccurate numbers (again IMO).

Last two deer I took in '07 took 8 arrows. They were both spine shots.....and they were both dead inside 30 seconds, each. BA on those two (according to your rules) of .250. Real-life result is two dead deer and two recovered in sight. this doesn't even take into accout the lesser amount of suffering they experienced by virtue of me lowering my BA.

Not proud of spining any deer.....but a deer dead in under 30 seconds is something I'd take every time......even if I'm not recognized as a "good hitter".
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

OO
OOOO OOOO
OO
O O
O O
O O O O O

Danget, that's the best I can do.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just wanna say something to the younger guys or the guys who are new to bowhunting:

I hope I didn't send the wrong message that it is anything less than glamorous to shoot multiple arrows at a deer in order to get the job done. if it takes 4 thenit takes4.There is no set number when it comes to that. It's been said butbears repeating- we try our best in the woods but there are variables we absolutely cannot control.

I almost let G'man talk himself around me. I almost let him make a secondary issue of importance become a first. He argued that I am sending the wrong message by penalizing ppl for taking multiple shots thus in a way promotingmultiple shotsto make himself feel better about his 4/10 record. As responsiblestewards of the forest, it is our duty to make sure we send the fewest arrows possible at God's creatures.

G'man can talk his way around teenagers even when he is completely wrong to begin with.I consider myself a fair and just man. I will not let him argue here that black is white. If a guy has 100 posts, there is a damn good chance that a fewer number of those posts are BS. If a guy has 20,000 posts there's a damn good chance that more of those posts are of a self-righteous self-serving origin. Do not add a whole container of salt to your soup; take yourspoonful with a grain of it.

Busted!

Sincerely,
-Heu
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

As responsiblestewards of the forest, it is our duty to make sure we send the fewest arrows possible at God's creatures.
TOTAL BS. TOTAL.

So you spine a deer......and it's laying right there.....20 yds away. Chances are it'll expire in a few minutes. Chances are greater it'll expire in SECONDS if you put a follow-up arrow(s) in it. So what are you promoting, again?

FOUR of my 4/10 "BA" were follow-up shots on a deer I didn't even try to take, inititally (another hunter spined the deer). I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Would the deer have likely expired had I not shot the 4 arrows? YES! Did I limit its' suffering? YES!

We have ONE goal when we release an arrow (or arrowS). Kill the animal as quickly as possible. I don't care if you have a 10 arrow quiver....and the 8th shot will spare the animal 5 seconds of suffering. Fire your arrow downrange.

THAT is the message I'd like to send.

You can reference my "4-10" record repeatedly. I'm not ashamed of them, and especially not ashamed of the last 4.

I injured/killed a buck this year that I didn't recover. I also clean missed a doe, earlier in the year. Beyond that.....I've killed 4 does on 4 shots....and easily recovered each of them.

I'll send arrows downrange until:

1. The animal is out of range

or

2. The animal has stopped moving.

So where's the "virtue" in saying "I killed a deer with one shot and he died in 5 minutes" v. "I killed a deer with 4 shots and he died in 30 seconds"?

Quick Reply: What's your batting average?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.