Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break >

North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break

Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break

There are currently two laws at hand that need to be passed, so if you can get out there and voice your opinion on them:

#1- Bowhunting only on Sundays throughout the state
#2- extended a new bow season from Jan. 1 to Feb. 1

The WRC has been put under pressure by insurance agencies to increase the deer harvest by 35000 I believe (probably would see that there are 35000 deer killed and not tagged in NC every year....stupid call in system) but this could really benefit us bowhunters in NC (the few), so be sure to get out and vote on it.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break

It's not these two that scare me. It's the "other one" (the prospect of maybe having ALL weapons seasons run concurrently).

Also...on this side of the state...my season's over 12/17. WHY it doesn't run (late bow???) through AT LEAST Dec. 31st is beyond me. Through Jan. 31 would be even better.

I just don't get why they don't extend the season.....if they want to see more deer killed. I'd even be in favor of delaying the opener until Oct. 1 or later to make up for the late extension. It would be nice to hunt the opener without melting.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, they ruled that one out no way no how, instead that are implementing a universal season across the state. A 4 week bow season, two week ML, and Rifle (bow) until Jan. 1. That is what I heard from a local representative anyway.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really wish that DE would take up the same standards of letting us hunters hunt on sundays..it would be much better.IMO

BH818
Old 11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, they ruled that one out no way no how, instead that are implementing a universal season across the state. A 4 week bow season, two week ML, and Rifle (bow) until Jan. 1. That is what I heard from a local representative anyway.
That's still freaking ridiculous. So now.....contrast 2008 to 2009.

2008 -

Bow season runs from 9/13 - 11/15. ML runs 11/15-11/21. Rifle season opens 11/21 and runs til 12/17.

2009 - Rifle comes in in the end of October? Two weeks earlier than '08??? So it's rifle season for the ENTIRE rut?

I wish I didn't love it here, so. They make me sick (NCWRC). ALL they care about is herd numbers. they don't give a fying flip as to herd dynamics and overall herd health.

We already kill more bucks than does, here. This is absolutely pitiful.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 PM

here is how it runs in se Va...oct 4-nov1 or 2bow season...ML nov1-nov14 then shotgun/rifle Nov 15-jan 2
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Are you saying you can't hunt Sundays? Thats %$&#@^.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I can do is cross my fingers and pray. I have been a huge advocate of Sunday hunting for bow, anyhow.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Spike

I'd really like to see Sunday hunting allowed here in NC. I can't take much time off work to go hunt, so the weekend is really my only option and that opportunity should be both days. A lot of these laws are just ridiculous. What purpose does it serve to restrict hunting on Sundays? Last i checked, deer don't go to church.

Here in the central region of NC, bow season goes from Sept 13 - Nov 7, followed by ML for a week then Gun (with bow allowed) from Nov 15 - Jan 1. It's a fairly long season, I guess, but an extended bow season through January would be great. I'll be letting the WRC know where I stand on it.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: BuildFlyCrash

Are you saying you can't hunt Sundays? Thats %$&#@^.
Ya, thats what I said when I moved here from MO in august. I know in MO rifle season is only 10 days (Nov. 15-25th this year) w/ a couple weekends later in the year of doe only rifle hunting. You can bowhunt from 9/15-1/15 AND on Sundays (you can imagine I was pissed when I found out I would only get to hunt one weekend day). Anyway, the universal weapon all season proposal scares the **** outta me too. Honestly and fortunately, my wifes contract will be running up in 1 1/2 years so we will probably be moving again. Regardless though, for all of the hunters I have met in NC I hope they don't go backwards on this issue. The NC wildlife commission (or whatever they would like to call themselves) needs to bring in some new people with new perspectives on these issues.

Quick Reply: North Carolina may finally give bowhunters a break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.