Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A little venting never hurt... >

A little venting never hurt...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A little venting never hurt...

Old 11-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default A little venting never hurt...

This weekend was youth gun season here in Ohio, now I'm not a big fan of gun season...don't get me wrong, I have nothing against hunting with a gun, I do have a problem with morons running around in their awesome orange jumpsuits firing off shots at anything that is brown and maybe has four legs. I am getting off topic though, this is not about my cynicism about Shotgun season, its about the fact that almost every hunter I saw today had a shotgun regardless of age. I know what you are thinking, so what, right? Wrong, its youth gun season the only people allowed to have guns and have the opportunity to shoot a deer should be the youth hunter. However on numerous occasions today I saw groups of men, all with shotguns in hand and maybe one youth getting ready to push a woods.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but is not the point of a youth gun season to get the youth a chance to harvest a deer and in some off chance actually get them interested in a hobby other than playstations and MP3 players? I don't know, maybe I'm being naive or maybe I'm not alone in feeling like its getting out of hand, what are you teaching your child when you shoot a deer and use his tag? Are you teaching them good hunting habits or ethics; dare I use that term?

I'm sure its not like that across the table and there are men or woman out there sincere enough to take a child hunting and let it be about them, to you sir or ma'am I tip my hat, whether it be bow or gun; Bravo!!!

I guess its just good that there are kids out there in the woods....maybe I should concentrate on that...sorry about rant.

p.s. If I don't get a chance to say it before than, I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving, I pray the Lord continues to bless each of you with his gifts...lol..and many years of happy hunting!!!