Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality) >

Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Old 11-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Guys, I made a moderately large mistake tonight. I got greedy, wasn't thinking, and I blundered big time, and remember WHY I have often said "DO NOT SHOOT AT AN ALERT ANIMAL!!!" I'll post up pics of the head tomorrow, when I get a chance.

I had a "herd" of deer in the back yard, missed a big doe, no rangefinder, I guestimated she was right around 40, held heart, thinking ifshe was longer,I'd have a clean "MISS," and Iwatched the arrow "zip" right under her, frustrated with myself, another small doe hung around in the backyard, and I decided "To heck with it, I'm out of meat....." And I let one sail at her(ended up being a pretty big [probably a 120-130# live wt.deer] button buck , STUPID), and what looked like it was going to be a GOOD SHOT ended up a near pass-through entering behind his ear and out under his opposite side eye. He drop like a ROCK, and I thought I'd spined him!!! To my amazement, that SONIC zipped right through his head, and had there not been BLAZERS on the arrow, it would have passed completely through. And this shot looked like heart all the way, until a very tiny split second and the deer moved. My wife watched out the window, and she thought it was a good hit as well!!!! Again, I'm kicking myself, as it was a shot I probably shouldn't have even taken, and the deer was about exactly 40yds, and I'd just shot at about 3pm and stuck all 3 arrow on the Diamonds on my target at 40yds this afternoon.

Anyway, guys try not to be STUPID like I was tonight!!!

Again, I'm not proud, and I'm more or less an IDIOT for taking the shots in the first place, and it goes to show how muchthey can move upon the shot, and my Trykon had a STS on it, felted quite well, and is pretty quiet, at least I thought it was....[:'(]
Old 11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Not proud, no pic's, but I did kill one tonight....

Stuff happens. Meat in the freezer.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait a minute... so you shooting off your back porch?

I don't care, I was just asking.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey,it was a quick kill...better than drillin it in the rear ham or something..
Old 11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

hey,it was a quick kill...better than drillin it in the rear ham or something..
Maybe not necessarily, I've been there several years ago due to string slap on my sleeve on a cold and rainy night, and that deer ran 75yds before it died!!! One of the quickest kills I've seen. The BH severed her femoral artery, and she bled to death in very short order. But you're correct, it was dead pretty quickly.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Things happen man there isnt any reason to beat yourself up..it may not of been one of the most humain kills but look at it this way it droped quickly and died its alot better then haveing it run and run and run and not finding it or something along those lines...so Doug take it as you will..

BH818
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

I see You live in southeast Ohio. This aggravates Me when people shoot button bucks. CHECK THEM BEFORE YOU SHOOT. Sorry I'm just venting. We have a set of rules on our farm in southeast ohio. If You kill a button buck its a $500 dollar fine! When You kill a BB Thats eliminating 1 buck for 3-4 years down the road when it would be a shooter. Since We started these rules We've seen alot more bucks. Guys on our farm were killing 4-5 BB a year. Now none are being killed. I think it makes a big difference.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mondoman86

I see You live in southeast Ohio. This aggravates Me when people shoot button bucks. CHECK THEM BEFORE YOU SHOOT. Sorry I'm just venting. We have a set of rules on our farm in southeast ohio. If You kill a button buck its a $500 dollar fine! When You kill a BB Thats eliminating 1 buck for 3-4 years down the road when it would be a shooter. Since We started these rules We've seen alot more bucks. Guys on our farm were killing 4-5 BB a year. Now none are being killed. I think it makes a big difference.
Actually was a doe. At least that's what my buddy told me that gutted her for me while I was on my way to work. I'll post up a couple pic's tomorrow. I thought it looked TOO big to be a BB, but I've been wrong before. Like I said, I'm not proud of it, I just go overzealous, and made a bad decision. Generally, I WILL not shoot a BB, and the last time I did was in 2003, and it was being followed by 2 bucks, which made me think it was a doe, otherwise I'd have let it pass. I agree, letting BB pass is how we get BIG BUCKS!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

So you shot a deer in its head.....and dropped it in its tracks......and...

1. You don't have a photo
2. You don't know what sex it was

Wow.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

the deer was about exactly 40yds, and I'd just shot at about 3pm and stuck all 3 arrow on the Diamonds on my target at 40yds this afternoon.
That's bow hunting for ya Doug! You can have the fastest compound made and 40 yards will still burn your ass on shooting that far. Animals are not targets, targets don't move. I'm not criticizing you any, no reason to. I hope a bunch of other bow hunters read your thread and use your expierence to there advantage.

In the end the deer's dead and that's what matters In the long run. A congratulation's Is still In order, congratulation's Doug!!

Quick Reply: Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.