Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality) >

Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Old 11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Not proud, no pic's, but I did kill one tonight....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So you shot a deer in its head.....and dropped it in its tracks......and...

1. You don't have a photo
2. You don't know what sex it was

Wow.
Jeff,
Here in a little while after I get my sleep (I worked all night), I'll post up a pic of her head, the way the arrow CRACKED her skull, it made it look like she was a BB. I already owned up to that fact that it was a bad decision all the way around, but I WILL be eating some nice tasty tenders for dinner tonight when I get back out of the woods, which was the overall goal. Some of us hunt to put meat in the freezer. Granted, this wasn't really much of a "hunt," considering the deer was in my back yard and I was wearing a pair of hospital scrubs and a sweatshirt shooting off of my deck, but the point of me shooting deer is MEAT in the freezer. The true point of the thread was "WHY YOU SHOULDN'T SHOOT AT ALERT ANIMALS," which I AM GUILTY OF, and which is something I willingly admit preaching against, yet not heeding that advice. Not to worry though, I will have a couple photos, I even got me and my bow and the deer in a couple so I can give the "REDNECK SLOB HUNTERS' TEAM FITTY POINTS!!!!"

Wanna make matters worse, I buzzed the brisket of the FIRST BIG DOE, the fore-end of the arrow had hair and fat on it, with a couple little speck's of blood. Like I said, hold heart, if you miss, at least you miss low. And she was 46yds, which is pretty much why I have brisket hair and a little fat on the arrow, rather than a BLOODY arrow and 2 dead deer.

Schultzy,
You're right, they are NOT TARGETS, and again I admit I made a couple of poor choices, fortunately there's not a deer running around with and antenna sticking out of it's head. And again, an old lesson RE-LEARNED. Man those tenders sure do look tasty though.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

The true point of the thread was "WHY YOU SHOULDN'T SHOOT AT ALERT ANIMALS,"
Do you think the distance had anything to do with the outcome also?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Certainly Bruce, but the arrow flight was perfect, had she not moved, she was heart/lung shot. Again, I'm not PROUD, and it's a good lesson for others to learn by my own STUPID choice, rather than on their own. Hell, I was ticked when I shot under the first one, so my mind automatically was not clear after watching the arrow sail under the deer.

The only couple positives that can come out of this is that I and others will re-think taking longer shots, especially on ALERT animals, and I'll have tenders pan-fried with some sauteed onions and peppers tonight.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only couple positives that can come out of this is that I and others will re-think taking longer shots, especially on ALERT animals, and I'll have tenders pan-fried with some sauteed onions and peppers tonight.
That is my hope also. So many here talk about shooting animals at that distance and it is good that you can give them a real example of what can actually go wrong.

Enjoy the tenders .
Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anyway, guys try not to be STUPID like I was tonight!!!
thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind.

Granted, this wasn't really much of a "hunt," considering the deer was in my back yard and I was wearing a pair of hospital scrubs and a sweatshirt shooting off of my deck,
Seriously?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is my hope also. So many here talk about shooting animals at that distance and it is good that you can give them a real example of what can actually go wrong.

Enjoy the tenders .
That's really my goal here Bruce, to let guys know how WRONG a shot at an animal can turn when it would be a slam-dunk on a target. I also might re-iterate that if you HAVE a rangefinder, try using it, especially on a longer shot if you're going to take one.

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Anyway, guys try not to be STUPID like I was tonight!!!
thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind.

Granted, this wasn't really much of a "hunt," considering the deer was in my back yard and I was wearing a pair of hospital scrubs and a sweatshirt shooting off of my deck,
Seriously? YES, SERIOUSLY, I had a buddy who said he'd gut one if I ever did what I did, so I decided I'd give it a shot. Not something I'll likely to again, but yes, I was standing there in some Navy Scrubs and a green sweatshirt about 13' above them and shooting over my railing. Again, not a hunt, just shooting in the back yard.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug first don't take the post the wrong way but how in the world could you have made a perfect heart and lung shot and end up in the back of the noggin?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

the deer was about exactly 40yds, and I'd just shot at about 3pm and stuck all 3 arrow on the Diamonds on my target at 40yds this afternoon.
That's bow hunting for ya Doug! You can have the fastest compound made and 40 yards will still burn your ass on shooting that far. Animals are not targets, targets don't move. I'm not criticizing you any, no reason to. I hope a bunch of other bow hunters read your thread and use your expierence to there advantage.

In the end the deer's dead and that's what matters In the long run. A congratulation's Is still In order, congratulation's Doug!!

I also feel you should not be criticized, you came on here and told a story of a lesson you learned during this deal, the deer is deadand now you and others have learned from your experience.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe! Glad you learned your lesson. The deer is dead so you can move on. Go get another!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bcso19

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

the deer was about exactly 40yds, and I'd just shot at about 3pm and stuck all 3 arrow on the Diamonds on my target at 40yds this afternoon.
That's bow hunting for ya Doug! You can have the fastest compound made and 40 yards will still burn your ass on shooting that far. Animals are not targets, targets don't move. I'm not criticizing you any, no reason to. I hope a bunch of other bow hunters read your thread and use your expierence to there advantage.

In the end the deer's dead and that's what matters In the long run. A congratulation's Is still In order, congratulation's Doug!!

I also feel you should not be criticized, you came on here and told a story of a lesson you learned during this deal, the deer is deadand now you and others have learned from your experience.
I agree 100% bcso!! This Is a very good thread!!

Quick Reply: Not proud, but I did kill one tonight...(Updated, pic's pg. 3 sorry for poor quality)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.