Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Texas Bowhunters.. beware... >

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

ORIGINAL: Jim_IV

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: Simp

How about public land? As big as Texas is you must have an abundance of public land, right?
Nope, less than 3% of Texas is public land. Of that 3%, less than 1% is open to hunting. Whats 1% of 3%? Not very much at all! I think I'd be better off hunting out of state public land as a NR.
I know of two public land places within 100 miles that I can deer hunt on.It'sType 2 land which means another $60 permit. There isn't a whole lot of land either (maybe 500 acres), but there are a lot of hunters
I didnt think they had the type 1, type 2 and type 3 lands open anymore. I use to hunt type 3 lands in Caprock Canyon back in the 80s. I had to drive 3 hours to get there, and when I got there, it was like Disney World. Everyone and their dog was hunting it.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

They did the same thing here in PA, not for a whole month though. Let me tell you, it's awesome. (dripping with sarcasm)
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Original:Mr4pt
If you truely love the sport, you should want more kids involved.............at any cost.
I understand the point you are attempting to make but the way that statement reads....its kinda silly.

So what should I do? Place an advertisement that all kids are welcome to hunt my private propertry for free anytime they want?Donate rifles and bows to all that come by?Provide air conditioned and heated blinds so that we ensure they enjoy it and want to stay involved? At any cost, right?

Things that I am sure you do all the time in Arkansas.

That being said, I am against it, for the reasons already mentioned, some legimitate (like daddy really pulling the trigger and using the kids tag who may not even be in the field to begin with) and some are selfish (like the buck leaving my property and getting shot by someone else or the deer becoming cautious and nocturnal quicker).

But in the end, we are lucky in Texas in that we have plentiful deer and a long 95 day season in which we can bowhunt. I'll will voice my opinion to the state as being against it, but I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it either.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Points well made. However, the tpwd is wrong, I do not belive this will increase hunters. I have paid for the right to be in the woods eariler than the others. I do not wish to have a child with a rifle shooting anywhere near me. I do not know their dad and am not sure about his traning. I choose to bow hunt and paid to do so.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Dead on..... what he said......
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Spike

This shouldnt even be an issue. With plummetting youth numbers, all hunters, regardless of your weapon of choice, should embrace any attempts to get more kids involved in the sport.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ollie085

This shouldnt even be an issue. With plummetting youth numbers, all hunters, regardless of your weapon of choice, should embrace any attempts to get more kids involved in the sport.
Then why not get them involved in bowhunting? Texas has already done away with the 40lb minimum draw weight. If you want your kid to hunt in October teach your kid how to bowhunt. My 4 YO daughter already has a bow and she already spends time in a stand with me. If more parents took thier kids out during the general season and not just for the "youth specials' , then this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 AM
New Sheriff

ORIGINAL: ollie085

I guess that's they way I should have put it. And to be fair to the other side, I do not hunt public land so maybe my point of view is skewed.

But I do know this; the number of hunters continue to decrease each year. That means in the near future we will have fewer and fewer people fighting for our rights. If any of you have never seen the joy on a kids face when he kills his first deer, squirrell, rabbit or duck then you are truely missing out on one of the best blessings our sport has to offer.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are going to teach a child to hunt, is it going to depend on a special season? I learned in the general season, as did most all of us. Will a special season actually promote those who would not regularly take a kid out, to do so?

I can see where this is going to be abused. There will be tuns of people taking a kid along, just so they can shoot a deer and tag it with their kids tag.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why not make the Youthgun season anterless, then you will soon see that not manykids will be going out with their father because dear old Dad only wants to shoot a big buck

Quick Reply: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.