Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Texas Bowhunters.. beware... >

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

I found this on another site but think it's important.

I dont know if this has been posted before but here it is anyway. I found this in the texas bowhunters association web site.

*Texas Special Archery Season Alert*
Dear Fellow Bowhunter:

The Commissioners of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department proposed to open Texas' Special Archery Only Season to youth rifle hunters for the entire month of October through the beginning of General Season. The proposal that is open for public comment is as follows...... (read more)
Link to online petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/bow2008/petition.html
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

that dont sound good.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what is it, you don't want to allowyouth hunters any more time in the woods or you don't want to give up any more of your time in the woods?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

texas is probably 99% private land anyways. I dont see what the harm is?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in Oregon.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

texas is probably 99% private land anyways. I dont see what the harm is?
It's not the fact of land ownership in the first place, it's the idea of allowing encroaching gun hunters into the archery only season of which bowhunters MUST BUY A PERMIT (archery tag) and youth hunters don't.
Archery hunters worked long and hard and lobbied for an archery only season and now they want to take it away because the TWPD thinks it will interest more younger people to the outdoors when in fact there are other ways, other programs to get them interested without taking away our archery only season.
If it was your state we in Texas wouldn't be saying''what's the big deal''.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not going to affect you unless you hunt on public land.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

Yea it will

You watch a nice buck all summer. You are hunting that specific one. You put in the time and the effort. He gets shot before you get your chance to get him by a kid with a rifle on opening day of bow/youth rifle season. I'm all for kids getting into the outdoors. I have gotten my younger cousins into hunting.

Youth season is a week long. Bow season is a month. Rifle season is almost three months.

Call me selfish, but I like my month without gunfire
Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Simp

Not true. I hunt on private land and it will affect me seriously. I am a member of a hunt club with 20 members. During youth weekend the place is overrun with nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, grandkids, step daughters nieces next door neighbors kids, etc. etc.
Here in Texas we pay an additional $7 for our archery tags. This tax gives us October. I'm in no way against taking kids hunting. I take my 4 year old daughter. What I am against is guns in archery season. I don't care who pulls the trigger. There is ample opportunity to take kids hunting in Texas. General season runs from the first Saturday in November to the first Sunday in January. Thats 2 months to take a kid hunting. Not to mention special youth weekend in October and a week of late antlerless and spike season for youths in late January.
If someone wants more time to hunt with the kids in October why not teach them to bowhunt? Or heres an idea parents. Take your kids with you during the general season instead of going alone for fear of kids messing up your hunt!
Again I'm all for youth hunting, hell, I gave a kid a recurve this fall to help get her started, I've invited a member of these forums and his son to join me on a hunt next month in the hopes of the young man getting his first deer. I'm all for youth hunts. I just don't think kids with guns and archery season should mix.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, by "private land" I was thinking more along the lines of land that you, and maybe 2 or 3 other guys hunt, not a hunting club. I guess this is more of a reason to secure some land that may not get hunted by many people during the season.

Quick Reply: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.