Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is poaching ever justifiable? >

is poaching ever justifiable?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is poaching ever justifiable?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: is poaching ever justifiable?

I know of a few families that are so poor they do it to survive they don't even have enough money for gas in their cars to get them to town to get the assistance they deserve. They never complain about not having money or all the ammenities that most the rest of the world has they would help anyone anytime anywhere. They also never shoot more than they need use it all and never take the big trophy bucks. For these families it is acceptable in my mind. I am sorry if you dont agree but to each his own.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Not Ever !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM

they are just bad hunters so they have to poach like mossbergman11
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM

I believe there are two different situations being discussed.
Poaching for the fun of it, or bc you can't get one the legal way - absolutely not.
If you have to feed your family , that's a different story.
If you need food, I'll give you my deer.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default Absolutely.

The question is self evident in one sense. If you are asking "legally" justifiable, then that too would be self evident (though I don't believe that was the spirit of the question).

If it is worth it to you to pay the potential price, and your family is in danger of becoming malnourished (notice I did not say starving, I do not think any question of morality should impare ones ability to feed his family to the point of survival.), then absolutely it is justifiable (in the moral sense), as would be, the act of stealing food, illegal foraging, etc.

Ask no man this question, ask it of your God, yourself, your wife, your children. Then decide and face the results of your decision.

Last edited by Hooten; 02-14-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Typo caused by faulty software
Old 02-14-2021, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by okcaveman
is poaching ever justifiable? imho not if it is about horns. if somebody is feeding their family, and they still show respect for the animal then i feel it is.

whata yall think?

please vote but also explain your feelings please.
No it is not justifiable. We have a welfare system in this country that will provide food for families. I really get sick of hearing people say they have no problem so long as someone is feeding their family with the meat which is utter nonsense. Poachers are staling from hones law abiding hunters. Funny thing, most of the poachers I have run across and prosecuted were killing buck, or a 2nd buck. Do not try to justify an unnecessary and unlawful act! Of course if they get caught and many do, in my state the penalty is at least $800.00 dollars and it is higher in other states. Anyone who attempts to rationalize that poaching is ok is trying to justify abject stupidity.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.