HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   When is it to windy for YOU? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/274698-when-windy-you.html)

MdDave 11-21-2008 03:34 AM

When is it to windy for YOU?

ive been off all week.. hunted all week.. its been a windy week but today was jus to much for me to handle....i woke up put all my underlayers on, drove the 3 miles to the ground got out to unlock the gate an bam! it must be blowin 25 mph an 31 deg. temps... i stood there for 10 minutes an it never stoped!!!!!! i think ill jus wait till this afternoon! lol.....so whats to windy for you?

RTA47 11-21-2008 04:06 AM

RE: When is it to windy for YOU?

I huntedall last of last week, On wed i was up the tree and the wind started picking up and up, and up, untill i was getting kind of worried how i was ever going to pull off and kind of shot?
At that point i sead to myself ok this is where safety over rules hunting for me. (The wind was gusting 25-30mph)
I came down went home.

The wind died down so back in the stand on thursday afternoon and took a small 8pt.

mauser06 11-21-2008 05:57 AM

besides the cold that eats through you when its windy and cold, the saftey factor keeps me home...

gusts in the 20-30mph range usually keeps me home..usually when its like that the sustrained wind is 10-20mph with gusts upto 30..that will generally keep me in.

ive been so close to trees that have been blown over that when it splashed in the creek i got wet...

one time i opted to go small game hunting with the buddies instead of bow hunting due to heavy rains...we were coming through a stand of pines when the wind kicked up hard and fast...tops of pines were going everywhere...talk about scary...we unloaded and made a mad dash for the field..

coon hunting a couple times dad and i got stuck in very nasty wind storms...i remember it atleast 2x...i was YOUNG...6-10yo. big trees coming down all around us...dont know if it was a freak thing or if dad didnt watch the weather or if the weather predictors were even worse 15yo ago than they are now or why we went running hounds those nites...

those are just a couple of the closer calls...

but needless to say "ive seen enough" i wanna live to hunt another day...being in a tree when its REAL windy just aint worth it to me....not to mention shooting in wind like that is difficult...

early in 11-21-2008 06:06 AM

Any "wind" is too much for me. I CAN'T STAND hunting in the wind!!!! However, it won't usually stop me from hunting. It makes it muchcolder, that's for sure.[:@]

JoeRE 11-21-2008 06:09 AM

I know some of you hunt flatter terrain where this is impossible but for me - it is never too windy, I can alway find a place to sit out of the wind in a valley and generally the deer are there out of the wind also. I have sat with 45mph gusts on the bluffs above me, 5mph where I was.

Schultzy 11-21-2008 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: early in

Any "wind" is too much for me. I CAN'T STAND hunting in the wind!!!! However, it won't usually stop me from hunting. It makes it muchcolder, that's for sure.[:@]
I can't stand It either Jeff!!! A little 5 mph wind Is alright with me, keeps things a little easier when drawing my bow back by hiding the slightest noise from my clothes. Other then that I can't stand the wind but I still go out and bow hunt If It's not anything over 20 mph.

RockinChair 11-21-2008 07:18 AM

I actually don't think the wind has ever kept me from hunting. It's threw a major loop into my philosophy, strategy and expectations but I do not think that it has ever kept me home. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely HATE it. I would rather hunt downpours or extreme heat than hunt the wind- it just makes me weary while on stand.

That being said, last February we had a HUGE wind storm as I was taking down stands and blinds. I'm talking 70-80 mph. I don't know why I was out there, stupidity I would say. But it didn't take long for me to head on home when I see a huge bull pine snap off at the top.[:o]

Vabowman 11-21-2008 07:25 AM

anything over 15 is too much for most of the time..

virginiashadow 11-21-2008 07:52 AM

25mph is pushing it....I can take 10-20mph.

HammytheHunter 11-21-2008 08:40 AM

Lets not talk about the wind in Maryland lately.[:@] I wish I was off this morning... I'd love to be in the woods right now with the way the snow is coming down in Harford County.:D

I agree with most though.... 20+ high winds are a little much for me. I won't hunt because of safety issues... not so much that I don't like the wind. If its an occasional gusts... then I might try and stick it out.