Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When is it to windy for YOU? >

When is it to windy for YOU?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is it to windy for YOU?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When is it to windy for YOU?

The wind effects my hunting a lot.

If its 40+ degrees and windy, then I'm fine.

But if its 29- degrees and windy, I'm not going.

I can't stand the cold+wind combination. I can't do it. I can't seem to make myself sit through all of that just to kill a deer.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM

When it stops being "fun" it's too much for me. Here it depends on the direction as much as the speed. Being on the lee side of the mountain can mitigate a lot of the wind. Still hunt a pine or spruce stand back there if the wind is too much to be in a tree. The wind does great things for masking movement and noise.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL....its 30.8 right now, here. Wind is blowing out of the NW at sustained 15-20, gusting to 30. Its 2:50pm EST...and I'm on the pc instead of in a stand.

I'm trying to tell myself it will be worth it cause you can't kill one if you don't go, but dang its hard - especially when I haven't been seeing much lately. I'll probably mosey out for the last 2hrs as much as I want to wimp out.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd ratherhunt when the winds aren't excessive, but "usually" they don't stop me from going hunting.... 20-30 mph days are pretty common around here. When the wind catches gravel & hits me in the face,i'll to stay out of it, or at least hunt the heavier timbered areas.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once it gets up there with 20+ mph gusts not my thing, under that I can deal as long as I am dressed correctly.

Shane
Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i sat through it yesterday i jus couldnt do it again today.. 11 hours yesterday was alot to handle.. so i went rabbit huntin instead... more fun any how!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

25mph+ is pushing it for me, only because I sit in tree stands, and I can't stand my tree moving that much.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Double post...
Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the time of year, I will sit ina friggen tornado if that's what it takes to be out there. In November, early to mid, I will sit no-matter the conditions. Try to position yourself in a bottom or a protected area that deer may prefer over a ridge-top or something.

My cameraman and I satfrom first-light unitl last light on November 7th. We had 20-30 mph winds ALL-DAY, and the temperatures were in the upper 30's to low 40's as the high. I FROZE, but we saw 13 bucks - no shooters - but could have killed a B&C if he showed. That's just the way it is, conditions may make for a miserable sit - but I can guarentee you can't kill something from a warm and cozy chair inside.

On the afternoon of November 15, 2005 - I didn't want to go hunting. We had strong 30 mph winds here in SE Iowa with HARD rain coming down. I talked with my buddy (Big George), and he said something like "you ain't gonna kill one sitting inside". After 46 straight days of hunting I was burned out and didn't have a good spot for a NW wind where I knew a big buck was living. I grabbed my climber and gear and just went out. Set-up in an easy spot where I just felt as though I was putting in my day of hunting - and about 20 minutes of light left - I was just waiting for it to get dark so I could go home and get out of the miserable weather.

The next moment I killed the best buck of my life, the Iowa Tree Shredder. If it could happen to me on that night, it can happen anytime. I was at the lowest of lows - I mean straight depressed. I still can't believe it went down the way it did. Best day of my life probably!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM

If my tree's a rockin, I won't be a climbin'

Quick Reply: When is it to windy for YOU?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.