Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ancient warrior?? >

Ancient warrior??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ancient warrior??

Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ancient warrior??

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Greg- As an afterthought, perhaps this deer is worhty of the cementum(?)age analysis. All you need is to correctly remove one of the front incisiors and submit it for a ring count to determine a positively accurate age. Just a thought if you are really curious.
Perhaps you could PM me with the details?

The front incisorsare something that I've just started looking at in the last couple of years for aging deer.

Thanks.
PM sent.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Greg, deerage.com.

I had one done that way 2 years ago. My taxidermist aged the deer at 3 1/2 by tooth wear. Cementum annuli aging showed the deer was in fact 5 1/2 as I originally suspected. Pretty neat and more accurate aging method. I can agree with others here that your deer does in factappear to be very old. I'dsuspect 7 1/2 minumum.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nissan is right on the money!! I don't shoot little deer because thats all I can shoot I do it to allow the elderly the chance to enjoy their golden years.

It's alot like purse snatching from an old lady Greg and I think next time a double drop tined 163 incher walks by you should make sure he is mature but not to mature AND that his vision is good. You should also do it from the ground and have to do it in a state with not quite so many quality deer.

Even with your lapse of judgement you remain "The Man"

Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im really no envious I would have never shot that deer. Hes too old to end up as meat on someones plate. Whether you like it or not I DO NOT agree with that bow kill.. Too old meats gonna taste like crap. And hes old Hes at least 10-12 years old. And he deserved far better in my opinion..Now thats my opinion but even here in PA thats a monster. But still would have let him live.
THAT is awesome, simply awesome. If I missed that buck with all of my arrows, I would have detached myself from my treestand, jumped out of the tree and recovered one of my arrows, then charged after him with my bow on the ground!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

GregH, again, awesome buck and well deserved. Honestly, I can't think of a better, more deserving hunter to have taken this old warrior!!! Some people are just knuckleheads, plain and simple.

Just curious on the mount, is your Taxi going to be able to keep the scar there and the swollen eye? That would be awesome to show him just as he was!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Thats one nice DEER he deserved to die of OLD AGE in my opinion. But some of us dont care how the meat taste's.
I've really never heard anything like this before? For the first time in my life, I have nothing to say.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Thats one nice DEER he deserved to die of OLD AGE in my opinion. But some of us dont care how the meat taste's.
I've really never heard anything like this before? For the first time in my life, I have nothing to say.

Common sense obviously isnt all that common! [:-]
Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Imagine the buck that whooped this ones ass!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Pops423

Just curious on the mount, is your Taxi going to be able to keep the scar there and the swollen eye? That would be awesome to show him just as he was!
I'm not sure how much he'll be able to replicate but he told me that the scar would definately be visable. Which is what I want.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Imagine the buck that whooped this ones ass!
Kind of funny but my brother mentioned that the buck must have gotten in a fight with a buck that had long brow tines.

I posted a thread about a buck that I had watched breed a doe and another mention of the same buck in my story on this buck. That buck was a heavy bodied 8 pointer with a busted g-3. His g-2s were 6" and g-3 4", but his brow tines are 8" long. He's been the dominant buck in the area so far, could it be him!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.