Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are we running out of Big Bucks in some states? >

Are we running out of Big Bucks in some states?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are we running out of Big Bucks in some states?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are we running out of Big Bucks in some states?

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

based on my sightings, i would say that its down. My deer camera tells me otherwise though
x2. While actually hunting our sightings and numbers have been down this year. Granted the mast crop on our property was poor at best this year. Still, we are getting some good bucks frequently on the trail cams, positive sign I would think would be an improving buck to doe ratio.

Side note- We have about 750 acres right now between our property and neighboring properties under some form of management. Be it full steam QDM or just letting bucks walk- everyone is buying into some management concept. Then one of our neighbors hunts about a 40-60 acre lot (not realy sure on the actual acreage) but seriously, and God strike me down if I am lying, shoots at a deer every single hunt. Last year, the family (5 people) took 20+ deer off a 50 acre lot! That's just massacre if you ask me. Sure, they may need the meat, but still, thats too many if you ask me.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in northern/central Wisconsin....I have had the worst year ever by far as far as seeing numbers of deer...to see one deer in a night was a huge deal!!!! however nearly every buck i did see was a big one or at least a shooter...I hunt on all public land and all the extra tags people get really take their toll.....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned

I see more and more bigger deer..but then again after30 years as a bowhunter,I am maturing each year as a whitetail hunter...don't know.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Spike

I just got back into bow hunting this year and I shot a six point with my bow. It was a small rack but the jerkey and breakfast sausage taste great. I wanted to take a mounter with my rifle but out of the nine bucks I saw the first two days no shooters. Hopefully by thanksgiving something new moves in.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Spike

You guys have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear other serious hunters say this. I've been out 4-5 times a week since opener, hunting all over nothern Mn from St cloud to Bemidji. I keep a log of how many deer I see each night, at this time last year, I was up to 115 deer sightings from stand. I'm at 23 this year, with only 3 bucks.[:@]
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I see more and more bigger deer..but then again after30 years as a bowhunter,I am maturing each year as a whitetail hunter...don't know.
HCH I m seeing deer and even bucks, I just have not seen a mature one. It's bothering me

WhenI talk to Joe yesterday he hunts in Ohio/MI a boy scout camp. Great place, in three weeks of hunting they saw 1 shooter. Which they shot, a normal year is 15-30 shooters.

I have put myself on deer, just not the ones I want to shoot, and what bothers me more is no one in my area has seen a shooter. We always have 1 or 2 running around. The last 8 years the pressure really has shifted to SLP in MI. MAybe it's time for me to move on[&:]
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Germ

HCH I m seeing deer and even bucks, I just have not seen a mature one. It's bothering me

WhenI talk to Joe yesterday he hunts in Ohio/MI a boy scout camp. Great place, in three weeks of hunting they saw 1 shooter. Which they shot, a normal year is 15-30 shooters.

I have put myself on deer, just not the ones I want to shoot, and what bothers me more is no one in my area has seen a shooter. We always have 1 or 2 running around. The last 8 years the pressure really has shifted to SLP in MI. MAybe it's time for me to move on[&:]
sounds like that real estate statement called ..Location..location..location.. I hunt some gr8 properties with low population of people and hunters in the area. You guys have way more hunting pressure than me.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

unfortunately for me i havent seen 1 buck this year where i hunt, just does. My brother saw 1 fork and my uncle saw a spike.No Quality bucks to be seen or heard of even on camera.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

We can pack up and head back to Kentucky in Dec.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pick me up near the border

Quick Reply: Are we running out of Big Bucks in some states?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.