Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations >

My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

And it always seems to be an Il. guy thats starts the let em walk threads. It sure would be easier to let a little guy walk if you KNEW you would be seeing more and bigger bucks. I've seen 5 bucks so far this year. One was a legal shooter. He was 100 yds away. Thats in east Texas. Letting them walk may have something to do with location too. I'm just sayin.....
Old 11-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I won't get into a "location" diatribe but.......oh nevermind.

They aren't behind every tree, but it's damn close.
Rob told me he saw 8-9 bucks that would go over 140" in 9 days in IL. He's seen 3 in 27 yrs in PA.

He said he saw 40 bucks in 9 days in IL. He saw FIVE, all season, in PA.

How many trees are there out there?
Wow! I'd like to hunt a place like that!

In my Ill spot I saw 12 bucks in 20 days and only 1 that went over 140" (so I shot it!).
Greg, it's true except it was 41 sightings, probably 25 different deer with 8-9 going over 140 and this was from the same tree! I had a wonderful time! !

Bloodcrick, don't know about Matt's but my 50 yard Glendale buck was leaning hard. Something hit it! [8D]

They are not behind every tree, we hunted dark to dark every day but, I like my chances in IL over PA.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Crown Jewel of the trip ILLINOIS:
You guys who live and hunt there and only there have no idea how good you have it. Greg and I hunt PUBLIC land in an out of the way "not known for big bucks" section of the state WITH pressure ,and it's STILL better than any PRIVATE land I've ever seen in PA.
Really.. it's NOT like that all over the state. It's really not. Not even close.

Why do you think I travel 5 hours south to hunt.

And even worse.. most out of staters don't realize how much land that area of the state has in outfitters.. and can't be hunted by the average joe.[>:][:@] (most of it).

And Matt.. If you were hunting in Green co. or Jersey co. Ill. well then.. you are in a trophy area (despite what somebody told you).. just not in one of the counties with 10,000 outfitters running around.

I KNOW location matters.. but what out of staters don't realize is the greatest struggle for Illinois bowhunters is access. ALL private land dominates the state.. and outfitter land is second because of out of staters and their willing-ness to pay big money. And most of that land is ran by some joe-shmo outfitter.

And.. hunting an outfitter land is sometimes comparable to a forest preserve.. only with less a population and a 140" size restriction.. so of course you'lll see more older deer. Duh..

It's not like that in well over half of the state. Trust me. You can't even find deer through the cornbelt..

But I will agree.. that area that lays next to the Mississippi is magical. Unfortunately.. thanks to the outfitters and large private land owners..[&:]
Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I won't get into a "location" diatribe but.......oh nevermind.

They aren't behind every tree, but it's damn close.
Rob told me he saw 8-9 bucks that would go over 140" in 9 days in IL. He's seen 3 in 27 yrs in PA.

He said he saw 40 bucks in 9 days in IL. He saw FIVE, all season, in PA.

How many trees are there out there?
Wow! I'd like to hunt a place like that!

In my Ill spot I saw 12 bucks in 20 days and only 1 that went over 140" (so I shot it!).
Greg, it's true except it was 41 sightings, probably 25 different deer with 8-9 going over 140 and this was from the same tree! I had a wonderful time! !
I didn't doubt it. Just pointing out that it's not like that for the whole state of Illinois.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't even imagine how many big deer I would have on my walls if I lived in the mid-west. I am not trying to pat my self on the back BUT I have spent 5 days in the mindwest on hunts over a 4 year period and killed 4 P&Y bucks and this is all non guided hunting.On 2 of the hunts I tagged out on the first morning of the hunt HOWEVER I have stayed in a tree and either filmed or doe hunted on each of these trips. The five days counts the start of each hunt until I tagged my buck on each hunt. On each of these trips I have seen more total deer, more bucks, and more big bucks than I have in anySEASON of hunting NE Arkansas and SE Missouri (oh and SE Missouri is a deer hunting meca compared to NE Arkansas) Not to knock any of the guys here that hunt the midwest. There are some EXCELLENT hunters that frequent this sight HOWEVER I don't find it as impressive, as some others do, to consistently kill big bucks in the mid-west. I am not saying it's easy either but with the success I've had with the limited amount of time I've had to hunt the midwest, I can't imagine what my trophy room would look like, If I had hunted there for the last 20 years.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take back that crap you are talking about Illinois!! We do not have that many big bucks!! It is guys like you that give us a bad name just to get the guys out of your state so you can have all those deer to yourself!!

Glad you had a good trip Matt. Maybe next time you can drive about 45 minutes out of your way and I can drive 45 minutes and we can have some dinner or something!!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt you were right in my back yard at the intersection of 57 and 64. You're right, tons of deer get killed on the roads here every year.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who in the heck would avoid the O-H to go through WV and MD instead?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Anyone who didn't want any of that Buckeye stink on them.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I just got new tires and didn't want to ruin them in the first month.

Quick Reply: My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.