Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations >

My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Take back that crap you are talking about Illinois!! We do not have that many big bucks!! It is guys like you that give us a bad name just to get the guys out of your state so you can have all those deer to yourself!!
Matt's like a killdeer feigning a broken wing to lead the coyote from her fledglings... ooh, my wing's hurt -- flap, flap, flap -- see how I flop! Oooh, aaah... it hurts so bad... then he circles around after leading everyone to the promised land and shoots a 155" bruiser in his back yard while everyone takes the bait.

[8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who in the heck would avoid the O-H to go through WV and MD instead?
Because most Ohians don't know how to drive.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Who in the heck would avoid the O-H to go through WV and MD instead?
Because most Ohians don't know how to drive.
Who is the one getting tickets over here???
Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who is the one getting tickets over here???
And I blame that squarely on the Ohian in front of me who wasdriving 10 mph slower than the speed limit for the 3 miles before we entered on the highway. I guess my haste of zipping past him caught the attention of Mr. State Trooper.[8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Really.. it's NOT like that all over the state. It's really not. Not even close.

Why do you think I travel 5 hours south to hunt.

And even worse.. most out of staters don't realize how much land that area of the state has in outfitters.. and can't be hunted by the average joe. (most of it).

And Matt.. If you were hunting in Green co. or Jersey co. Ill. well then.. you are in a trophy area (despite what somebody told you).. just not in one of the counties with 10,000 outfitters running around.

I KNOW location matters.. but what out of staters don't realize is the greatest struggle for Illinois bowhunters is access. ALL private land dominates the state.. and outfitter land is second because of out of staters and their willing-ness to pay big money. And most of that land is ran by some joe-shmo outfitter.

And.. hunting an outfitter land is sometimes comparable to a forest preserve.. only with less a population and a 140" size restriction.. so of course you'lll see more older deer. Duh..

It's not like that in well over half of the state. Trust me. You can't even find deer through the cornbelt..

But I will agree.. that area that lays next to the Mississippi is magical. Unfortunately.. thanks to the outfitters and large private land owners..
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Really.. it's NOT like that all over the state. It's really not. Not even close.

And even worse.. most out of staters don't realize how much land that area of the state has in outfitters.. and can't be hunted by the average joe.[>:][:@] (most of it).

And Matt.. If you were hunting in Green co. or Jersey co. Ill. well then.. you are in a trophy area (despite what somebody told you).. just not in one of the counties with 10,000 outfitters running around.

I KNOW location matters.. but what out of staters don't realize is the greatest struggle for Illinois bowhunters is access. ALL private land dominates the state.. and outfitter land is second because of out of staters and their willing-ness to pay big money. And most of that land is ran by some joe-shmo outfitter.

And.. hunting an outfitter land is sometimes comparable to a forest preserve.. only with less a population and a 140" size restriction.. so of course you'lll see more older deer. Duh..

It's not like that in well over half of the state. Trust me. You can't even find deer through the cornbelt..

But I will agree.. that area that lays next to the Mississippi is magical. Unfortunately.. thanks to the outfitters and large private land owners..[&:]
duke is correct. There are some magical areas, but not all over. Even in my county where the deer kill is lower than many if not most, outfitters are taking over. Why in the world anybody would come somewhere to hunt and pay big dollars when most of the deer is in other areas? It just depends upon what area of Illinois you are hunting in.

Just talked to one of the guys from S. Carolina who is bowhunting property I used to hunt[&o]. He's been to Iowa and Kansas and told me he has seen more deer this trip, the hunting in those areas was much better. He told me he doesn't see as many deer and as many people in those places, but sees bigger bucks.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM

I agree just because some of us hunt in the midwest does not mean we are given a big mature buck. I hunt mostly in WI and some in Illinois and there are some magical areas, but there are some very dull areas too. I'm not complaining I love hunting the midwest, however, don't get too carried away that if you hunt the midwest your basically guarenteed a big deer.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Take back that crap you are talking about Illinois!! We do not have that many big bucks!! It is guys like you that give us a bad name just to get the guys out of your state so you can have all those deer to yourself!!
Matt's like a killdeer feigning a broken wing to lead the coyote from her fledglings... ooh, my wing's hurt -- flap, flap, flap -- see how I flop! Oooh, aaah... it hurts so bad... then he circles around after leading everyone to the promised land and shoots a 155" bruiser in his back yard while everyone takes the bait.

[8D]
That there is some funny stuff. Maybe we should start calling him Killdeer Matt rather then Matt / PA
Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you made it home in one piece, Matt. Did your wife recognize you??

It was my pleasure to give you a little deertainment on my property. I just wish the big guys would have shown themselves a little more often. Happy to hear you had a good time.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

And even worse.. most out of staters don't realize how much land that area of the state has in outfitters.. and can't be hunted by the average joe. (most of it).

But I will agree.. that area that lays next to the Mississippi is magical. Unfortunately.. thanks to the outfitters and large private land owners..
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

And even worse.. most out of staters don't realize how much land that area of the state has in outfitters.. and can't be hunted by the average joe.[>:][:@] (most of it).

But I will agree.. that area that lays next to the Mississippi is magical. Unfortunately.. thanks to the outfitters and large private land owners..[&:]
duke is correct. There are some magical areas, but not all over. Even in my county where the deer kill is lower than many if not most, outfitters are taking over. Why in the world anybody would come somewhere to hunt and pay big dollars when most of the deer is in other areas? It just depends upon what area of Illinois you are hunting in.

Just talked to one of the guys from S. Carolina who is bowhunting property I used to hunt[&o]. He's been to Iowa and Kansas and told me he has seen more deer this trip, the hunting in those areas was much better. He told me he doesn't see as many deer and as many people in those places, but sees bigger bucks.
Yep, come hunt the public land by my house. I hunted there hard last year and had exactly two deer come within bow range. A doe and button buck. (I killed the doe)

There are more hunters than deer at this park. I did pass up a dink6 pointer during shotgun season there lastyearand the other hunters and the site manager looked at me like I had three heads. Passing up any deer is almost like shooting your gift horse.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks who live here can't afford to lease or go with an outfitter so sardining into the closest public land is the best option.

On the other hand, this year I'm hunting on 'public' land about an hour from here. You have to get drawn to hunt it and then put in 40 hours of volunteer workand thenshare the property with 65 other hunters, it's earn a buck too.. and yet, I've taken three antlerless deer and already passed up a couple of 120"+ bucks. Quite a difference.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:39 PM
bigcountry

I grew up in Ky. We always parked our trucks on the side of the roads to hunt. Interstate or not.

When I moved to MD, I found out real quick its frowned upon to do that on I70.

Quick Reply: My Trip back home: Observations and Silly Generalizations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.