Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Unfair antler scoring system? >

Unfair antler scoring system?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unfair antler scoring system?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unfair antler scoring system?

Nets are for fishing. I think its horrible that a deer gets penalized cause he grew some additional bone that isnt symetrical. Like others have mentioned, the only way to get a true reading would be water displacement, but im not sure i see that happening anytime soon. All the guys i know all go by gross score, gives you a more accurate image of the animal, although sometimes that can be misleading too.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

Nets are for fishing. I think its horrible that a deer gets penalized cause he grew some additional bone that isnt symetrical. Like others have mentioned, the only way to get a true reading would be water displacement, but im not sure i see that happening anytime soon. All the guys i know all go by gross score, gives you a more accurate image of the animal, although sometimes that can be misleading too.
You have to remember though where and why scoring came to pass.

Granted the B&C system was not the first scoring system in the country.

However, B&C is concerned with the overall quality of the resource. They want to show how conservation practices, coupled with man's ability to co-exist with nature, can provide healthy specimans that grow to trophy potential.

The reason for deductions is because there is an anatomical description of what a whitetail deer should look like.... antler wise. And that is with typical antlers, that are symetrical. B&C has their own definition of it too that they use for scoring purposes.

It wasn't until later on that they added the non-typical catagory, that gave credit for abnormal points. However, there are still symmetry deductions on non-typical trophies... and that is because things are supposed to be symmetrical.

If you had one arm that was 30" long and another arm that was 20" long... or one ear that was big and one that was small.... you wouldn't be considered a typical, human being. Its not that you are somehow unequal to others.... thats what America is about... equality... but it doesn't really make you a "healthy" human from a design standpoint. You might have low BP, great choloesterol and a 30bpm resting heart rate.... but you know what I'm getting at here.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

You have to remember though where and why scoring came to pass.

Granted the B&C system was not the first scoring system in the country.

However, B&C is concerned with the overall quality of the resource. They want to show how conservation practices, coupled with man's ability to co-exist with nature, can provide healthy specimans that grow to trophy potential.

The reason for deductions is because there is an anatomical description of what a whitetail deer should look like.... antler wise. And that is with typical antlers, that are symetrical. B&C has their own definition of it too that they use for scoring purposes.

It wasn't until later on that they added the non-typical catagory, that gave credit for abnormal points. However, there are still symmetry deductions on non-typical trophies... and that is because things are supposed to be symmetrical.

If you had one arm that was 30" long and another arm that was 20" long... or one ear that was big and one that was small.... you wouldn't be considered a typical, human being. Its not that you are somehow unequal to others.... thats what America is about... equality... but it doesn't really make you a "healthy" human from a design standpoint. You might have low BP, great choloesterol and a 30bpm resting heart rate.... but you know what I'm getting at here.
But I believe the point that many here are trying to make is, if you have a separate category for non-typical deer, then why penalize them because they arenot symetrical? That's the purpose of the category, because the are not typical!For a non-typical deer, to give full credit for extra odd pointsyet deduct inches that vary from side to side on matching points is counter productive to truly represent what the animal scores.
For the typical category it makes more sense as that is what defines 'typical'.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Site Buck Guru

To me the the biggest problem with deductions pertains to sticker points.

Example: You have a nice 5x5 that has matching 4" stickers on each of his g-2's. He is still symetrical. What do they do? Subtract 8" from the gross score when the stickers (abnormal points) were not even counted in the first place!! This makes no sense. I can see the side to side deductions for the scorable points, but to subtract something that wasn't counted in the first place just isn't right. When scoring as a typical, the stickers should be left out, not subtracted.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Net score is unfair!
I couldn't agree more! Nets are for fishing. Whya buck doesn't get all of the respect it deserves is beyond me.[:@]To subtract from his inches of antler becausehe lacks symmetry just makes no sense to me.[>:]
Old 11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

To me the the biggest problem with deductions pertains to sticker points.

Example: You have a nice 5x5 that has matching 4" stickers on each of his g-2's. He is still symetrical. What do they do? Subtract 8" from the gross score when the stickers (abnormal points) were not even counted in the first place!! This makes no sense. I can see the side to side deductions for the scorable points, but to subtract something that wasn't counted in the first place just isn't right. When scoring as a typical, the stickers should be left out, not subtracted.

I agree with your viewpoint Greg, but to the 'experts', the deer with the stickers isn't as textbook 'perfect' as the deer without them! It's all a load of BS to me. I've seen higher scoring 3 y/o deer that don't hold a candle to a lower scoring 5-6y/o deer as far as mass, beadwork and overall good looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM

I can see the argument of the more symmetrical deer being a better specimen, but I just don't buy it. To me that is an engineer looking at nature. Symmetry is important in manufacturing, but since when has nature been symmetrical? I mean really, in all my wildlife classes symmetry was not a common word, diversity was. Diverse systems are the healthy ones in nature, so shouldn't we be celebrating the non-typical racks instead of the typical ones?A different line of reasoning, I know, but it is much more the way I look at nature.

Put 15 oak trees together, do they all look the same? Theforester would love it if they were,it would make yield much better for the timber company, but it really says squat about the health of the forest.

Anyways, everyone has their own opinion, it's all good. I am a gross scorekind of person though.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

I've always wondered why when you gross score your buck that you measure the inside spread. Its just a measurement of air really.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Predator19

I've always wondered why when you gross score your buck that you measure the inside spread. Its just a measurement of air really.
Excellent observation. IS is credit for bone between the 2 main beamswhich were already acredited for. See, there are a few things wrong/unfair about the current system.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Excellent observation. IS is credit for bone between the 2 main beamswhich were already acredited for. See, there are a few things wrong/unfair about the current system.
Back in the mid 1990sBuckmasters started a BTR scoring system which kinda stuck to the ideas a lot of you agree with.

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resources/BuckmastersTrophyRecords/tabid/156/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/84/BTR-Philosophy.aspx

Quick Reply: Unfair antler scoring system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.