Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode >

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Welcome to the jungle
Old 11-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

I;m physicaly disabled i've put my xbow up against my fathers bow at 40yd and a compound will outshoot a xbow any day. Anyone who has never shot a xbow doesnt understand the range the NOISE for morest. They are no rifle no matter how No 1 looks at them. If you have never shot one you can not judge one!
Dude, I don't know what disability you have, but smoking the crack won't help. I bought a crossbow for my dad because he cannot pull a bow due to a bad back and anyone that says a crossbow cannot outshoot a bow needs to stop shooting altogether.

I'm a pretty good shot with a bow and that crossbow was point, pull, shoot, hit bullseye time after time.

I do not have a problem with crossbows as a weapon, I do have a problem with the vast majority of guys that choose to use them in this state. Not the cream of the crop.[:'(]
Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm seriously against anyone who is healthy and can pull a normal bow from using them. I have no issues with disabled persons or even older people who can't physically pull a normal bow anymore.

PAHardwoods is exactly right. I can just see all of the idiots walking around the woods making bad shots on game because they think it has the capability of a gun.

It does come down to money. The PA Game Commission is grabbing at straws. License sales are down and anything they can do to possibly get people to buy a license and hunt, they'll do it. They're a victom of their own demise. They created this mess and are trying to fix it by introducing ridiculous regulations and new seasons.

In my honest opinion, PGC has ruined the traditions of hunting in PA. The sad reality is, it is only going to get worse.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
New Sheriff

Wow, I am amazed at some of the comments here. AR has had xbows legal for as long as I can remember. You know who uses them here? Old men and kids. I honestly don't know of more than a handful of capable people here that use them, and the one's that do usually hunt 4 or 5 days per year.

How would we feel if the traditional guys felt the same about our compounds? I'm sure some do but most trad shooters couldn't care less what other people are using to bowhunt with. Why should we?

Maybe if someone would care to enlighten me why a person should not use a crossbow I would understand.
1. Easier - Nope. Have you ever tried toting one around in the woods or have one up in a stand with you. The damn things are cumbersome as hell.
2.Further Range - Nope. Todays bows shoot just as flat and are accurate for just as far.
3.Limited motion - Nope. Try getting a second shot off with a xbow

BTW - I used one for 1/2of the 1992 season when I cut the tips of my fingers off. Hated it.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

THe thing that bugs me about crossbows is the mentality of some of the people shooting them. My dad had the same mentality for a while...but he got out of it. Like somebody else said, some people think they havea longer range when in reality they do not.

Like somebody else said...they are loud, they are heavy, they are cumbersome. When my dads shoulder healed up enoughhe started carrying his regular bow again.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM

If there had been the internet 35 years ago you would have seen this exact thread with "compound" substituted everywhere for "crossbow". When you look at it from a traditional standpoint what makes all you holier-than-thou compound shooters think that you're really shooting "bows"? The crossbow at least has a traditional history that stretches back farther than the compound. If you're arguing against the technological advantage of the crossbow, don't jump up and down too hard, you may go through that thin ice you're standing on.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I think they'd be a disadvantage to a healthy guy. I mean really, they're so dang noisy. When I hear one go off I can jump almost as far as a deer. Someone said fewer wounding shot. Heck, with a deers reaction time it could be more. They're just trying to get more hunters out to kill more deer for the insurance companies.[&:]
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kodiak, what came first? the compound bow? or the COMPOUND CROSSbow?? real question....i have no idea....not tryin to start a peeing match....just getting my facts straight.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely get into these airheaded debates, but seriously, who are these compound shooting "purists" (in their own minds..) anyone to downgrade guys who legally pursue game with a Xbow? Doesnt seem right to me...I'd love to hear from the PA archers who bowhunt without the "training wheels" that are on your state of the art ______ bows that shoot accurately out to 50+ yards...Jeesh guys. Grow up (coming from a 19 year old). [:@]
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

Kodiak, what came first? the compound bow? or the COMPOUND CROSSbow?? real question....i have no idea....not tryin to start a peeing match....just getting my facts straight.
I believe the compound bow was before the compound crossbow. From my limited understanding pre-80's xbows were quite crude.

Quick Reply: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.