Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode >

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

What ever happened to Power to the people???

Ryan.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never been a fan of crossbow hunting, and I'm glad Illinois doesn't allow them. However, ifa person is physically unable to draw a bow then that's a different story.

My dad has shot a recurve all his life. In the last few years he has became unable to draw it back effectively enough to hunt with it on a regular basis. He refuses to apply for a crossbow permit saying that is isn't bowhunting. Heck he won't even let me give him my Switchback.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

The only slight bright spot to this is that maybe we'll see less wounded deer this way.
I don't quite follow this logic. How is allowing a crossbow to be used during the entire archery season going to account for less wounded deer?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I;m physicaly disabled i've put my xbow up against my fathers bow at 40yd and a compound will outshoot a xbow any day. Anyone who has never shot a xbow doesnt understand the range the NOISE for morest. They are no rifle no matter how No 1 looks at them. If you have never shot one you can not judge one!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

New Jersey is allowing the crossbows in next year also durning the archery season [:@]poor poor deer
Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Next step: Legalizing the idling ATV as a legal "treestand."
you mean ............it's not?[8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

What ever happened to Power to the people???

Ryan.
You forgot the last couple words.... its power to the people 'who have the power'

VA did that a couple years ago. Good luck with all your new bowhunters [&:]

My neighbor told me yesterday....his yahoo son got a crossbow this year so he could bowhunt. He was out and a doe came in to 10yds, he had to turn around and shoot a different way than he was set up. Well, since he hadn't practiced much "cause its pretty much like a gun - he said" [:'(], he conveniently forgot to move his thumb out of the way of the string. Thwack....dang near cut his thumb off, they had to rush him to the emergency room. [&:]

Enjoy....
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM

This boils down to one thing here in PA and thats the almighty $Dollar$. The crossbow companies have been pushing like crazy to sell crossbows in PA for a few years now and the Game commission has finally folded to the pressure. My problem with crossbows is the same as others have stated. The fact that guys think they dont have to practice with it and that guys view them as the next best thing to a gun. They think that now they are shooting with 150-200lbs of pull that they now can shoot out to 60, 70, 80, 90 or even 100yds. Ask the archery proshops in Ohio what happened when crossbows were allowed. Many shops closed up their doors because guys didn't need the service to their bows and they could buy their crossbows through catalogs. One of the biggest opponents in PA to crossbows is Rob Kaufhold the owner of lancaster Archery. Give him a call and ask him to tell you the reasons why crossbows should not be allowed. He has a fantastic view on it. He doesn't have a problem with the weapon itself, its the fact that guys think its like a gun and if these guys buy these crossbows through catalogs they are not getting the information dispelling the "Like-a-gun" myth. If they buy the crossbow in shops the pro-shop can inform the buyer on the real limitations of the weapon and how it should be used and not used. All I can say to all the PA guys and even the non PA guys is contact the Game Commission and lets put the pressure on them to not allow them, Maybe we could come up with a sort of form letter that all of us could keep sending to the Game Commission. What does everyone think?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does this suprise anybody! This was a done deal from the git$$$$$ The UBP fought the good fight and lost. Oh well what can you do? Its a stacked deck with the PGC and the Harrisburg HACKS!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

You're exactly right PA. They did it in Maryland. They wined and dined everyone they could who had power to get them into Maryland. All the manufacturers doing. I suppose next they'll come to NY and try the same thing.Our season has been cut already by the DEC. We only had 17 days here in the Northern Tier of NY this year. Gun season on the other hand starts with a Muzzleloader season our last week of bow beginning Oct 11th, then gun season Oct 18th. So really, bow season is Oct 1-10th and then we had to share a week after that with Muzzleloaders. So guns are going off from Oct 11-Dec 4th. Hardly seems equality to me. NY Bowhunters Association tried to get them to open the season Sept 15th, no dice. They wouldn't even entertain it.

Quick Reply: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.