Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I still got it...kind of.... >

I still got it...kind of....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still got it...kind of....

Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I still got it...kind of....

When I was younger and DUMBER I use to shoot pretty high poundage until my shoulders started begging me to stop. I also use to work at a shop pulling bows alot and I could always pull quite a bit of draw weight but I haven't pulld over 70 lbs in at least 8 years. I walked into the bowshop today and there was a group of guys standing around this old Pearson Spoiler. When I saw them standing around I knew why. They (the Spoilers have always been notoriously high draw weight bows. One of the shop guys handed to me as soon as I walked up and said "here I know you can pull it". I asked how much it was was and he said "don't worry, you can pull it". So of course the 18 yr old in me, that never backs down from a dare, kicked in and I grabbed the bow and pulled it (after nearly dropping a hemroid and almost having a hernia[8D]) I asked how much it was and he said "118 lbs". Now 10 years ago that wouldnt' have surprised me but I haven't drawn heavy weight in so long that I was surprised that I could still pull that much. HOWEVER, unlike the old days I can really feel it now[:'(]I hung around for a while acting tuff and then went to the truck and took 5 IbuprofenIt's hell gettn older...[:@]
Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I still got it...kind of....

I didn't know regular bows had such a high draw weight. WOW!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for the afternoon giggle!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just hope you don't pay for it later... as in REALLY pay for it.

I'm almost scared to do crap like that nowadays... in fact, I tweaked my shoulder a smidgeon last year and got really concerned about my ability to draw a bow... had me thinking about the future, for sure. I can't imagine not being able to bowhunt.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I hope I don't REALLY pay for it either. If he would have told me how much it was, I wouldn't have done it in the first place.....probably
Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot heavy weight too. But you got to look after your shoulders. I hit the gym several times a week and make sure I do some shoulder exercises in there a few times. You use them to much to ignore them. I worked out last night making sure I did them.

about 9 months ago mine were acting up on me. And I was heavier than I had ever been. I joined a gym and try to go several times a week. I actually enjoy it now. Its motivating to be working out around people that are doing the same. You can do alot at home but getting yourself motivated seem harder. Since working my shoulders some for the last few months I don't hurt at all anymore. I'm carefull to stretch before I go hunting and try to keep that way when in the woods.

I like being out there and an injury isn't worth it. I'll spend the time in the gym to ensure I can continue for many more year in the future.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

118?! How did it shoot? Did you nock an arrow and let one fly?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

with my elbow still on the mend theres no way I'd try something like that. I'd want to know up front what the weight was. I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish this season with a bow. As it is I've taken the ML out on days I'm particularly sore. I just don't want to risk it.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ha Ha MAN!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

One shoulder surgery and a BUNCH of elbow tendonitis later.....I won't even think about it. My 60# bow is a dream on the draw....and the best thing is I can let down easier, now. Pretty cool.

Jason....be VERY careful with shoulder exercises. If you're doing more than 10#'s for a small shoulder muscle exercise.....you're doing too much. I don't even go that high (I'm talking about cans and rotator cuff exercises). These guys in the gym using 30-40+ pounds for "shoulder" exercises are perpetuating their own future misery. You could probably get more from a 5 lb dumbell or an 8 lb nedicine ball than you could from most others.

Take care of your shoulders.

Quick Reply: I still got it...kind of....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.