Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sad ending...

Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Sad ending...

A coworker of mine took these pictures while pheasants hunting in SW Minnesota. Either the bucks were fighting and got caught up in barbed wire or one buck was caught in the wire and the other tried to take care of him in his weakened state and ended up getting caught himself. Either way too bad they had to go out like this.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Default RE: Sad ending...

Always hard to see any deer go like that. Even tougher when it's two good bucks.[&o]
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man that sucks! So where in Minnesota was that at?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like an antler trap to me. These poachers would set up barbed wire and when a buck walks under it he gets stuck. Bad way to die.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

That looks like pretty new barbed wire!!! that is too bad!!! Not for the barbed wire of course but the deer....thought I should clarify
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

It looks like an antler trap to me. These poachers would set up barbed wire and when a buck walks under it he gets stuck. Bad way to die.
Look at the last picture on how the wire is wrapped pretty neatly around the tree. What did the guy do when he found them?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

that makes me sick. i hate to see stuff like that happen.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I didn't think of that but looking at the 1st pic again, their is an detached antler stuck to the wire on the tree. Is that from one of the bucks? What a shame and a waste of 2 magnificent animals.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like asnare system to me? Something fishy bout that, what did your friend do with them?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

That antler in the barbed wire is from the buck that is laying flat on the ground, obviously broke it off in the struggle. I agree, usually a tangled mess of barbed wire like that is rust and been there for years, not this stuff.

He left them there. We both work for the Minnesota DNR so I think he reported it to a Conservation Officer and let them be. This was out towards Marshall.

Never thought of a poachers trap though.

Quick Reply: Sad ending...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.