Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting trip to Iowa >

Hunting trip to Iowa

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting trip to Iowa

Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting trip to Iowa

A buddy and I would are throwing around the idea of a bow hunting trip to Iowa next year. Would be a do it yourself hunt and I would like some help on a area of the state to hunt as well as what elase is needed to get tags for Iowa.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default RE: Hunting trip to Iowa

I would start trying to get tags right away next year. I think it is in may or june when you can apply. My buddy gets a tag once every three years. Not the easiest tag to get. When he started applying it took three years to get his first one.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

I remember others saying that you have to apply for tags and it sometimes takes a while to get them. what is the process that Iowa uses for out of state hunter tags?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Just visit the Iowa DNR website and you will find all the information you need to apply. For archery it will take you up to 3 years in the lottery system. You get preference points the years that you apply but arent successful in the draw. You need to figure out where you want to hunt first so you know what zone to apply for. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Google is your friend. http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/pdfs/08nrdeer.pdf?bcsi_scan_13A251D0E008763D=0&bcsi _scan_filename=08nrdeer.pdf
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Theareas in Iowa are cut up into zones, you can only hunt the zone that you draw for. The best areas are along the MississippiRiver for the entire length of the state but all of these zonestake three years to draw. Some of the less popularzones in the central and west part of the statetake1 to 2years to draw. I hunt SW Iowa soevery three yearsI draw (whichmeans I'll draw in 2009 woo hoo!)
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I am aware of the resources out there and have been searching them......I was hoping for feedback from some who might have put together the same trip. I guess it all comes down to personal preference but still was looking for feedback from those who have been there. I trust this site as a great resource of information and would think I would get honest answers.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 AM

There are no deer left in Iowa
Pick a zone and start applying
For a "do it yourself" hunt there are many areas that are public hunting that produce nice deer every year.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM

I would start applying for preference points this next spring and hold off the trip until I had enough points to draw the best zone, which is atleast 3 years. I have 3 myself and haven't decided if I will put in for the tag this year or not.

The prefence point only costs $10.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys for all of the information.....I didn't know it was that hard to dry a tag for Iowa. from what I hear though it is worth the wait.

Quick Reply: Hunting trip to Iowa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.